M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 Help with Barrel Band ID + Antique shop finds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SSG160SOAR
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  11:16:07 AM  Show Profile Send SSG160SOAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a few M1 items that I am hoping to get some help with. Mainly the barrel band. I picked these up from an antique shop in my town that is going out of business. All for $12.50.

30 Rounds W-W Winchester Western
8 Rounds R-P Remington Peters
15 Round Magazine
30 Round Magazine
5 rounds 30-06 Armor Piercing
Barrel Band.

So the 30rd mag has no markings, so I believe that is aftermarket. The 15rd Mag looks original by some comparisons I've seen online, back is marked with "SW".

Then the barrel band which is my real question for all of you. No markings, missing the correct swivel, and looks like the part of the band that was bent over to hold the screw has been repaired. If original, is there any value left to it, or does it have too many issues? Thanks

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jimb16

USA
3150 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  6:31:14 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The barrel band still has some value, but not much. Too much damage for it to command much more than any repro band. It does appear to be an original, but as to who made it, it is pretty near impossible to tell.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  6:41:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The screw is in backwards and of course originals did not use nuts on the screws. The spacer is not original or needed. Looks like someone did some grinding on it. As Jim said it has minimal value now. The rounds in the pouch are reloads. The 15 round magazine is USGI. The 30-06 AP depending on the date could be worth about a dollar per round,if WW2 less.
Go to Top of Page

SSG160SOAR
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  9:05:02 PM  Show Profile Send SSG160SOAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2