M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Misc. Firearms Discussion (M1 Garand, 1911, etc.)
 First Rifle I fired
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

win1885
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  07:20:44 AM  Show Profile Send win1885 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was 10 years old in 1950. My Dad, an officer in the USMC, was CO of Marine Barracks on Guam. He was invited to participate in a feral hog hunt and took me along. Several other officers were in attendance. All armed with M1 Carbines. We had a local guide but either he wasn't very good or the hogs went on vacation. We saw none. We did see the mud markings on several trees where they had rubbed. I remember them being almost as tall as me. So I really
wasn't upset that we didn't see any. Later in the day interest in the hunt waned and the men started target shooting and I was offered a
turn. It was the first time I ever shot a real gun and it was an M1.
Tom I.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

NCcarbine
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  06:48:59 AM  Show Profile Send NCcarbine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great story. First rifle I fired was my grandfather's Model 30 JC Higgins .22. He took me when I was 8 or so to hunt frogs and said the .22 was a better tool than a frog gig, I just had to shoot parallel to shore, or I'd blast the frogs into the pond!
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  5:35:53 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first shooting was with a single shot 20 ga. with a full choke. Hit the rabbit with the first shot. Hooked for life! BTW, I still have that old Eastern arms 20....

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2