M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 Just bought an M1 Carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wellardmac
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  6:41:37 PM  Show Profile Send wellardmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the title says, I just bought my first M1 Carbine and I'm trying to figure out what I have.

The rifle is fairly straightforward in terms of identifying parts. I have a 1944 Inland General Motors rifle, based on the serial number it was made in the early-mid 1944 production batch. It has a lower wood stock, no bayonet lug, button safety, rounded bolt, milled adjustable sight.

When I got it home last night I disassembled, inspected and cleaned. The barrel, receiver, charging handle and stock, in fact all parts stamped with a manufacturer ID all appear to be Inland parts. The rifle is in excellent condition and shows little wear and tear.

On the stock it has a partial cross cannon stamp., but otherwise I cannot find any armorer marks anywhere on the rifle.

I'm hoping that someone can help me understand the lack of armorers stamps. Best conclusion I can come to is that the rifle was made in 1944 and never issued to the field, but eventually got sold off to civilians. I find that explanation strange, but it's the best I can come up with.

Any ideas what I have?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3254 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  8:40:43 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look in the sling well you should see letters inside of it. An example for Inland would be OI or HI. As to time when made it is all serial number dependent. That also dictates if the carbine has been rebuilt at all if any. If the serial number is after March 1944 the a round bolt, adjustable rear sight and a type 2 barrel band without the lug would be correct. Not all rebuilt carbines were done at the armory level. Those done at an armory would have a rebuild stamp of one kind or another on it. Some were done at say the company level too and not be marked as rebuilt. All parts on a carbine except pins and springs are marked as who the part was made for. Any other question about your carbine you might have then just ask about it.
Go to Top of Page

wellardmac
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  8:49:37 PM  Show Profile Send wellardmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said above. I know the build date from the serial #. I've also verified matching parts. The issue I was struggling with was the lack of armory stamps. I found that to be odd based on everything I've read. Everything other than that makes sense. I am surprised to have found a rifle in such good condition, but lacking armory stamps.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1047 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  9:13:51 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the M1 Carbine forum from New Mexico!

Aside from the cross cannon ordinance acceptance mark you shouldn't necessarily expect to see any other armorers stamps. If it had undergone an arsenal rebuild you would expect to see a flip safety and a barrel band with a bayonet lug. I think your conclusion is as good any. I assume there are no import stamps. Maybe it was part of the post war Military Assistance Program and was loaned to a country that didn't change it and was later returned through the DCM or CMP, thus no import stamp.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

wellardmac
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  05:01:20 AM  Show Profile Send wellardmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jack.

So, I'm guessing from your response that this is not unheard of and I feel a little better about it. On one hand I'm disappointed to have bought a rifle that has not seen much action in the field, but on the other hand happy that I have a rare beast that's in great condition and has original matching parts.
Go to Top of Page

always learning

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  09:11:04 AM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any marks on the barrel band? The most common was a triangle looking thing over on the right side (American Swiss), but there were several other markings too and some with no markings. Also, what's the barrel date if yours has one?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1047 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the MAP countries that we supplied arms to after WW2 was Italy. A lot of these carbines were returned through the CMP. They were often in very good shape, having been updated and refinished by Italy. Clues would be a new looking parkerized finish, parkerized a bolt (originally blued), a FAT cartouche (Fabbrica d'Armi a Terni) on the stock and a tiny FAT stamp on the top of the barrel next to the receiver that can be easily overlooked. The reason I mention this is that I have such a carbine, only without the FAT stamp on the stock. The only evidence of it's history is the microscopic FAT stamp on the barrel. As you described, it has little "wear and tear". Any chance you got your carbine through the CMP? I know it's a long shot, but maybe you could check for the little FAT stamp on the barrel.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 01/25/2017 10:23:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

wellardmac
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  10:43:19 AM  Show Profile Send wellardmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I'll look when I get home this evening. I don't recall seeing any of the markings that you both described. It's really clean.

The barrel is marked with a 44, that I assume is the year. No import marks of any kind. The metalwork looks original and in good condition. The bolt is the original bluing and shows the expected wear from being used. The only disappointing thing is that the stock has clearly been sanded and oiled in some way... I assume tung oil, as it's incredibly smooth - pretty much feels like my M1A after I sanded and oiled it.... looks and feels beautiful, but I'm assuming not to be the original treatment it would have gotten in the military.

I know nothing about the origin of the rifle. I didn't get it from the CMP and the seller couldn't tell me anything about the history. It wouldn't surprise me it had been through the CMP, but I have no way of knowing, unless you know of a mechanism for asking them.
Go to Top of Page

wellardmac
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  4:05:06 PM  Show Profile Send wellardmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just checked for the markings that you described and can confirm that there are none.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3116 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  6:23:43 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally the only markings on the stock that I would expect to see on a carbine that has not gone thru rebuild would be a cross cannon ordnance mark, a markers mark and most likely a proof P. It can vary a bit depending on who's stock, but 3 markings would be normal. Some may have the inspectors mark with or without the makers stamp. or the Ord. stamp. In the case of an Inland, a P proof, ord. stamp and makers stamp in the sling bevel would be all I would expect to see. I should add, though that you might also find a "rack" mark on the pistol grip.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

wellardmac
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  8:52:06 PM  Show Profile Send wellardmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine has the cross cannons and IO. That's it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2