M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Rock-Ola
 Opinions please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  7:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I looked at a "Rockola" carbine that someone has ground off the "rear sight hump"..not correct nomenclature....cut a hole through the front handguard and added a "Flip-up" sight and an incorrect front sight, The Rockola and serial # are still there, did not strip weapon to see what all's inside, Walked away, but rethinking, guy wants to swap for a Windham AR-15 I have (Which I do want shed of anyway)
What do yuo guys think........and no sorry didnt take any pics of the gun, stock was (aside from handguard)in very good shape.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

hunterman1
Advanced Member

173 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  11:55:37 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw the gun. Don't know the value of the AR but the $700 or so seller was asking could be better spent.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  05:25:54 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can build an AR for under $500 from assemblies ordered from places like Palmetto State Armory and sometimes purchase AR's assembled NIB for that. The Windham (formally Bushmaster) name is not among the considered top names. Nothing wrong with the gun, but it's not a Colt, which you can now purchase for close to $700. AR's are everywhere. I'd consider the worth of your used Windham in the area of $475-$500, you can replace it for that. If you want the carbine badly and all it will take is $100-or-so to make it right (as a shooter), economics are on your side. Hand-guards can be had for $20-$30. Rear sights about the same.

My remarks are based on the understanding that the rear sight only has been modified. If the dove-tail "hump" has been molested....all bets are off. A good Smith can install a peep-sight on the rear of the receiver, but that practically ruins the gun for what it is/was.

Edited by - americanboy on 01/18/2017 06:05:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3123 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  10:20:07 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like the dove tail has been ground down to level with the rest of the receiver? If this is correct the gun will have almost zero value as the front sight, hand guard and maybe the barrel have been modified or removed. No keep your AR 15 it's worth more then this modified carbine.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3025 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  7:25:08 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. the value of that carbine is probably in the $250-$300 range and it has NO collector value left. Your AR is worth a lot more.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading Larry Ruth's book (Vol. 3, pg 899) about the history of the first Winchester carbine and noticed that Winchester engineer Fred Humeston (co-inventor) also owned a custom carbine that had the receiver ground off in a similar way. Humeston's grandson has been a visitor to this forum at one time inquiring about obtaining a Winchester carbine to honor his granddad. Maybe the original Rockola owner was inspired in a similar way.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  7:47:16 PM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK Thanks Guys..........Hunterman......Tyler GS?
Go to Top of Page

hunterman1
Advanced Member

173 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  10:59:56 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. The same guy had a poorly restored S'G', as I recall, for something approaching $3000 or so. Not much in the way of carbines there, but there never is. I'm down around Nacogdoches.
Go to Top of Page

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  3:22:35 PM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see the SG, But yea Carbines are getting scarce at ALL the shows I go to.
Longview here, ever up this way and have a prob, Ya got a friend, (One of the Constables)
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  9:10:20 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carbines are indeed becoming scarce, but now with a new prez in the White House, maybe now the carbines in South Korea can finally come home....

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  6:40:03 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEYU

Carbines are indeed becoming scarce, but now with a new prez in the White House, maybe now the carbines in South Korea can finally come home....

if they do one can only hope they are in good condition. The 1,000s of stocks that came in 1-2 years ago were in pretty poor shape. Metal pretty rusted all around.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2016 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2