M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Second Amendment Forum
 Back Ground check
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tex
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  06:48:02 AM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message
I know I might piss some people off here, but I don't think it's OK to have a "Garage Sale" set a table up with guns for sale on it and just sell one to WHOEVER walks up with the cash.
A background check "could" be really easy, Just call a number and give the guys name, DL # etc and ask one question "Is is OK for this guy to own a gun" YES OR NO thats it, But the idiots in Congress will prob make it a lot more BS then that.
I sold a Universal Enforcer for a friend of mine at a gunshow, and even though I am a Peace officer "Constable" it was Illegal for me to "run" this person.........What kind of sense does that make?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

cali201

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  1:55:28 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message
I sell here in Georgia sometimes on a forum we have, Outdoor Trader. But I, myself, only sell after I view their DL and thier Georgia weapons license (what we get for CC). This way I know they have at sometime passed their background check in order to get that license. I do not sell if they do not have one.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  5:27:39 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message
The law should only be what the law is and (still for now) my state of residence allows face-to-face transactions for in-state residents. It's good business to transact via a bill-of-sale and confirmation of residency. I do not think allowing just anybody to call for a background check is reasonable. I think it will just add to the bureaucracy and like most other gun-laws, do very little to keep guns out of the hands of those that probably shouldn't have one.

I do think there should be a vehicle that allows the prospective buyer a practical method to run the serial number prior to a purchase. The way we do it now is to locate a buddy in some law enforcement position that has access to the database and that becomes burdensome for them in a short while.

Edited by - americanboy on 01/12/2017 5:28:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

tex
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  10:19:41 PM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message
American boy......That is illegal for a peace officer to run a gun without prob cause, also what "Bureaucracy"? it's allready there, the only different is when the gun dealer calls he has to give the serial # of the gun, and it WOULD keep a guy walking up to a garage sale and buying a gun without any check, Us gun owners have a responsibility to keep guns from felons. My state you can sell a gun to a illegal alien on a face to face sale.........what kinda frigging sense does that make?
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  09:06:49 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message
Dealers are required to complete and retain paperwork on transactions. These records must be filed and maintained, or shipped to some government warehouse for eternal storage. It's a bureaucratic administrative process that must be followed. I do not think they will ever allow any Tom, Dick and Harry access to the system and not have the same requirements that are placed on FFL holders. I also think it can be a serious violation of privacy rights to allow just anybody the opportunity to check-up on just anybody else and leave no paper-trail in the process.

Go to Top of Page

tex
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  01:20:15 AM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message
Well, Valid points American boy. However, I must point out to you that you can do a "Back-ground" check on ANYONE at this point via the Satan-Net, My County and all contiguous Counties have a Website with a "Judicial Search" You may see All jailing's, All "Mugshots" All cases filed and disposition of the Case, ETC ETC, With no paper trail, So if you have been Arrested, Well It's just "Out there".........BUT we are off my original point and way to "Run" this thing, Also I was mistaken when I said a police officer needs "prob cause" to run a Gun, I would have gotten in trouble if I had "Run" the lady I sold a Gun to at the Gun show, But yes if you came to my Office and said, "I am buying or have bought this gun, I did not know the guy who sold it to me, it was a real good deal I am now worried it might be stolen, I can check that gun, If you just say "Hey I'm maybe gonna buy this Gun and I don't know this guy", I can check that gun as well. And yes NCIC-TCIC should be open to the public, and you should be able to "run" a guns serial # and see if it's stolen, lost or whatever, THAT should be public info. Back to background checks, I said it (Could) be simple a # you call, Give the guys name, DOB and DL#, ID Card # what ever he has and ask a Yes or No question "Can this guy own a Gun" No giving the Guns Serial # No what kinda gun is it? Just the one question "Can this guy own a Gun"? And this is not for "Dealers" this is for the Guy who's selling or trading his Gun. And Gun Dealers call every day, Yes they might have to Hire a few more Employee's ,But they need to do that anyway, Do you know how long it takes to any Class 3 stuff approved? 6-8 Months, As I say it could be a Harmless Common sense thing, Because as I said (As a multipul Gun owner) including the Scary Black, Evil AR-15, We Gun Owners have a responsibility to keep guns away from Criminals, This includes having a secured Gun Safe, Locking our cars, and if you park outside a Garage NOT leaving your Gun in the car, and Knowing the Guy you just sold a Gun to off "Craigs list" or the Classifieds is not a Felon.
Go to Top of Page

Eyospt
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  10:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Eyospt an AOL message Send Eyospt a Private Message
Well, what many of you are looking for is currently ILLEGAL on a federal level!!

You actually want a national database of who owns each gun and who it is sold to....You really don't want that in a Free Society.

The current FFL disaster was caused by THREE men:

Lee Harvey Oswald
James Earl Ray
Sirhan Sirhan

Before the Gun Control Act of 1968 every firearm transfer in this country was done without any "background" checks.
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

51 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  12:37:41 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eyospt

Well, what many of you are looking for is currently ILLEGAL on a federal level!!

You actually want a national database of who owns each gun and who it is sold to....You really don't want that in a Free Society.

The current FFL disaster was caused by THREE men:

Lee Harvey Oswald
James Earl Ray
Sirhan Sirhan

Before the Gun Control Act of 1968 every firearm transfer in this country was done without any "background" checks.

I'm puzzled by the ferocious resistance to reasonable firearms registration. How is it different than requiring a Driver's or Marriage License, a license plate for your vehicle, a Social Security Card? Why aren't you up in arms about having to any of those?

The facts of modern society is that the government already has a vast database of information on each citizen. Further, Google, your credit card company, and most of the places you shop know far more about you than you could imagine.

Reasonable background checks to ensure that a citizen hasn't been adjudicated not able to own a firearm are nothing more onerous than getting a driver's license.

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai 1984
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  12:56:28 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message
Nobody is thinking about confiscating my automobile. I don't even know of any left-winger suggesting that my car be confiscated....yet. No one is trying to take my spouse away either...that I know of. The fear of registration is that it's just a small step toward eventual firearms confiscation, which is very high on the liberal agenda.
Go to Top of Page

Eyospt
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Eyospt an AOL message Send Eyospt a Private Message
COSteve said: I'm puzzled by the ferocious resistance to reasonable firearms registration. How is it different than requiring a Driver's or Marriage License, a license plate for your vehicle, a Social Security Card? Why aren't you up in arms about having to any of those?

The facts of modern society is that the government already has a vast database of information on each citizen. Further, Google, your credit card company, and most of the places you shop know far more about you than you could imagine.

Reasonable background checks to ensure that a citizen hasn't been adjudicated not able to own a firearm are nothing more onerous than getting a driver's license.UNQUOTE

You are obviously a young person. You failed US History in high school. There is a "reason" the BILL OF RIGHTS (owning firearms is a RIGHT) was included in the United States Constitution. Each and every one of the RIGHTS were things that the fore fathers did NOT have in the old country.

Reference your "reasonable firearms registration"! There is no such thing: #1, there are hundreds of millions of firearms in America. It would be absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get even half of them to show up to be "registered". #2. why do you believe the "bad guys", whomever they may be, would register their firearms??? They STEAL the ones they have....they do NOT go to a gun store and fill out paperwork and wait to be "authorized" by the federal government to buy a firearm!!! #3, IF the federal government were to make an attempt to "register" every firearm in America can you even guess at how long that would take and how many more TRILLION dollars it would cost?? Then there would be the THOUSANDS of people who did nothing but attempt to keep the database up-to-date on an hourly basis with the thousands of firearms that change hands EVERY DAY.

Think about what you are suggesting.........thank you for your opinion!!
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

51 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message
Born in 1947.

I worked in Aerospace providing technical resources to the 'alphabet agencies' for 40+ years. Unfortunately, most of what I worked on provided 'insight' to the govt so it officially didn't happen. I still can't tell my wife what I did or who I did it with.

However, I can say this, the basic assumption of many on this thread is that by registering your firearms, you're giving information the govt can't get other ways. That's plain wrong. As I said, the federal govt, state govt, and local govt as well as commercial credit companies and private businesses are drowning in information on each one of us.

The fact is, the cat's already long gone from the bag. For instance, if you have a cellphone, you have left a time stamped record of everywhere you've been, everywhere. Did you know that businesses buy location data from cell phone companies to find out where inside their store you've passed?

Oh, and if the libitards had their way, they'd take your car and make you drive an electric one, your house and subdivide it to give it to the 'disadvantage' (read to lazy to work), and your job and let a bunch of 'illegals' have it. So your basic premise is just plain wrong.

I learned about the constitution in the rice paddies of RVN and spent 7 months in the hospital recovering from the experience so don't even think to tell me I don't understand the constitution or history. I lived it while you were likey still dumping in your diaper.

Yes, I know about the second amendment and I support it, however, if you actually read it you'd note that it provides for a 'well regulated militia'. Anyone who graduated from high school can figure out that registering a firearm would fall under the 'well regulated' wording of the amendment.

As a Program Manager of intelligence programs, I know exactly how to go about setting up a database to collect data and how much it would cost, likely orders of magnitude better that Eyeospt. The data on you is already out there. You just have to accept it whether you like it or not, believe it or not, it's true. I've seen data about myself in simple 5 yr FBI background updates for my SCI accesses that I didn't even know.

But you just go on believing your still free from govt insight. If it makes you feel good, great.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  2:27:42 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message
Does anybody here think that registration is going to remove guns from the hands of the bad guys? Background checks routinely block a few, but those types simply go to where they can obtain a gun, through a storefront or on the street. I say we start seriously punishing criminals, not simply housing them. We have a social problem, not a gun problem and registration is not going to correct that.
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  3:18:27 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message
COSteve,

I graduated from high school. I like how you said that I "can figure out that registering a firearm would fall under the "well regulated" wording of the amendment'(the 2nd).

This sounds like a done deal.

What supreme court are you a member of?
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

51 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  11:43:19 AM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message
There you go then, I have a Masters Degree and 41 yrs experience in contract law and working with the Govt on secret programs; many of them having to do with gaining insight and knowledge.

You all can bluster and moan or accept fact.

That being that the people have elected representatives to govern them. They are charged with passing laws deemed needed to protect the population. They have laws regulating the licensing and use of hundreds of things from dangerous gases, to drugs (both prescription and others), to all forms of transportation, to building codes, marriages, deaths, etc., etc., etc. Saying that it doesn't have the right to license firearms is nonsense whether you choose to understand it or not. Further, by steadfastly refusing to work for reasonable licensing you feed the argument of the other side to band them. Seems short sighted to me

Steve

Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  12:17:39 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by COSteve
That being that the people have elected representatives to govern them. They are charged with passing laws deemed needed to protect the population. They have laws regulating the licensing and use of hundreds of things from dangerous gases, to drugs (both prescription and others), to all forms of transportation, to building codes, marriages, deaths, etc., etc., etc. Saying that it doesn't have the right to license firearms is nonsense whether you choose to understand it or not. Further, by steadfastly refusing to work for reasonable licensing you feed the argument of the other side to band them. Seems short sighted to me

Everything you said in the quote above is true enough, but I would make my own observation:

The government today regulates many things (yes, I agree that some regulations are needed) and intrudes upon our lives and freedoms in ways that the Founders never intended. The problem with government is that it always grows larger, and with that growth, it becomes ever more intrusive, and dangerous to liberty.

Specifically, it is the nature of government — ALL GOVERNMENT to threaten liberty. That is why we must guard our freedoms jealously, and always cast a wary eye on the government.

I don't mean to suggest that we should hate or fear the government. Hating it for being intrusive is about the same as hating water for being wet.

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  2:20:01 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message
COSteve,

Reading through the threads you have posted, you appear to be quite accepting and even content with the status quo of big government control over we the people. According to you the rest of us "can all bluster and moan or accept(your)fact". You salt your threads with well worn anti-gun phrases such as, "reasonable firearms registration" or "reasonable licensing", and that if we don't accept your premises then we "feed the argument of the other side to ban(d) them". Disingenuous.

You state you know and support the second amendment, but your writings say otherwise.

I am not willing for our nation to go the way of other democratic countries, such as Great Britain and Australia, with their government firearms registration then confiscation programs. We already have a couple of state governments working hard to go that way. COSteve, you know exactly what I am talking about," a little reasonable registration here, a little reasonable licensing there". The difference between us and the rest of the world is we do have the Second Amendment. In this world of government control that is a very rare and very valuable individual freedom. Worth standing up for and if necessary, worth fighting for.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3079 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  7:41:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message
This thread has gotten carried away here. It's about back ground checks. I for one am happy with a back ground check. I have seen some people that should not be on the loose let alone trying to buy a firearm get turned down. I have yet to see an everyday type person rejected by the check. There is no information passed as to what someone is buying. Just the name, DOB and maybe the SS number if the person were to say OK. It's not 100% fool proof but it's better then no check at all.
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  8:44:26 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message
I'm in agreement with background checks myself, even though in my state long gun private transactions are legal between two state residents. Private handgun sales do require a permit to purchase or concealed carry permit copy. My concealed carry permit is acceptable legal proof in lieu of a federal instant check when I purchase through a dealer. My few gun sales go through dealer consignment or only to people I personally know. And all of them have concealed carry permits. That's just how I choose to do my business.
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  9:40:23 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message
I also have no objection to background checks. Trying to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or mentally ill people is sensible.

But I believe most of us would not want to see a registry of gun owners, for reasons already stated.

Of course, we also know that criminals will get guns anyway they can, usually by theft or through street buys.

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Eyospt
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Eyospt an AOL message Send Eyospt a Private Message
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

For those who wish to give up their RIGHTS under the 2nd Amendment - go for it! As for me, I feel the gun control acts of 1934, 1968 and 1986 is more than enough GIVING on our side!!!

It cannot be proven that the three of them put together has prevented ONE CRIME..............
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

51 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  5:53:22 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bonnie

COSteve,

Reading through the threads you have posted, you appear to be quite accepting and even content with the status quo of big government control over we the people. According to you the rest of us "can all bluster and moan or accept(your)fact". You salt your threads with well worn anti-gun phrases such as, "reasonable firearms registration" or "reasonable licensing", and that if we don't accept your premises then we "feed the argument of the other side to ban(d) them". Disingenuous.

You state you know and support the second amendment, but your writings say otherwise.

I am not willing for our nation to go the way of other democratic countries, such as Great Britain and Australia, with their government firearms registration then confiscation programs. We already have a couple of state governments working hard to go that way. COSteve, you know exactly what I am talking about," a little reasonable registration here, a little reasonable licensing there". The difference between us and the rest of the world is we do have the Second Amendment. In this world of government control that is a very rare and very valuable individual freedom. Worth standing up for and if necessary, worth fighting for.

Well, there you go. You're wrong on that too.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

COSteve

51 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  6:25:10 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message
To get a decent gauge on perspectives here, I'm compelled to ask us all to consider a basic question so we all can understand our philosophy on government, any government. The question for each of us is; Do you support the government's responsibility to generate and enforce licensing requirements for items or actions that could pose a danger to other people or do you feel that they are unwarranted or unfair intrusions on your personal liberties as defined in the Constitution?

Examples of these gov't required licenses and/or restrictions include the requirement for a Driver's License, Commercial Driver's License, Vehicle Registration, Ship Master's License, Harbor Pilot License, Marriage License, Private Pilot's License, Commercial Pilot License, Hunting License, Medical License, Attorney's Certificates to practice (they aren't licensed), Hazardous Material Transport licenses, Nuclear Power Plant License, Certified Engineer, Building permits and compliance inspections, Mining permits, and numerous other licenses required to perform potentially dangerous tasks or operate potentially dangerous items.

I'm not being facetious here, I'm trying to gauge the basic position of some of the other posters. I believe that one of government's basic responsibilities is to ensure the safety of all it's citizens and that requires government to ensure that persons and companies who generate, handle, and/or operate items that could be used or miss-used in a public setting and thereby cause harm to others must be licensed to ensure safe generation and/or operation of said items.

If there are others here that don't share that position, I understand how they could object to any licensing requirements at all. That position is their right, however, trying to come to common grounds agreement on any licensing discussion, whether it be on owning a car, a plane, or a firearm with someone diametrically opposed to what I feel are basic, common sense requirements is a waste of my and everyone's time. So until I can better understand the basic positions of those posting here, I'll refrain from further discussion on this topic.

I mean no one disrespect to anyone here. Each of you is entitled to your own opinion. However, my position is very clear and very simple. I'm baffled as to how anyone with a basic understanding of governmental responsibilities could honestly believe that the government has the responsibility to issue licenses to all those listed above but shouldn't have the responsibility to issue a license to owners of firearms.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  6:26:21 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bonnie

COSteve,

Well, there you go. You're wrong on that too.

Your words. No one else.

Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  7:11:14 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message
quote:

To get a decent gauge on perspectives here, I'm compelled to ask us all to consider a basic question so we all can understand our philosophy on government, any government. The question for each of us is; Do you support the government's responsibility to generate and enforce licensing requirements for items or actions that could pose a danger to other people or do you feel that they are unwarranted or unfair intrusions on your personal liberties as defined in the Constitution?

Examples of these gov't required licenses and/or restrictions include the requirement for a Driver's License, Commercial Driver's License, Vehicle Registration, Ship Master's License, Harbor Pilot License, Marriage License, Private Pilot's License, Commercial Pilot License, Hunting License, Medical License, Attorney's Certificates to practice (they aren't licensed), Hazardous Material Transport licenses, Nuclear Power Plant License, Certified Engineer, Building permits and compliance inspections, Mining permits, and numerous other licenses required to perform potentially dangerous tasks or operate potentially dangerous items.

I'm not being facetious here, I'm trying to gauge the basic position of some of the other posters. I believe that one of government's basic responsibilities is to ensure the safety of all it's citizens and that requires government to ensure that persons and companies who generate, handle, and/or operate items that could be used or miss-used in a public setting and thereby cause harm to others must be licensed to ensure safe generation and/or operation of said items.

If there are others here that don't share that position, I understand how they could object to any licensing requirements at all. That position is their right, however, trying to come to common grounds agreement on any licensing discussion, whether it be on owning a car, a plane, or a firearm with someone diametrically opposed to what I feel are basic, common sense requirements is a waste of my and everyone's time. So until I can better understand the basic positions of those posting here, I'll refrain from further discussion on this topic.

I mean no one disrespect to anyone here. Each of you is entitled to your own opinion. However, my position is very clear and very simple. I'm baffled as to how anyone with a basic understanding of governmental responsibilities could honestly believe that the government has the responsibility to issue licenses to all those listed above but shouldn't have the responsibility to issue a license to owners of firearms.

I think most of us would agree that there is some government responsibility to insure legal accountability and public safety in the occupations (marriage is one) you have listed.

None of these are specifically listed in the Bill of Rights as personal freedoms and individual rights of the people. The Bill of Rights intentionally limits government intrusion.

Edited by - bonnie on 03/10/2017 7:13:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eyospt
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  9:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Eyospt an AOL message Send Eyospt a Private Message
Well, I will bow out of this "discussion". I firmly believe "Steve" is a troll sent her by Obama/Clinton/Bloomberg/et al/ to stir up trouble and put forth LIES that all real American's know to be lies. I find it funny that the liberal left things each of the items in the Bill of RIGHTS pertains to individual people except the SECOND...........If he would only read what the Founding Fathers had to say about the Right to Keep and Bear Arms he would (maybe) understand why it was included......oh, sorry, he isn't smart enough to understand English. BYE
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

51 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  12:11:08 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message
Not a troll by any means. As to being a YOmama plant, fact is I'm a life long Republican until the religious fanatics got control of the party. I'm now more aligned with Libertarians than either major party. I've never once supported the liberal agenda of Democrats, not even before I turned 30.

Why? This whole "I know better than you" dogma that both parties spout has me turned off. Be it on religious issues which I believe are individual beliefs and not the purview of the state at all, or political dogma that says that big gov't knows best and will control everything. This is what's wrong with both political parties as far as I'm concerned.

I'm for small gov't, not big. Self determination rather than gov't taking over providing everything. Individual responsibility, not group think. Human rights, not Gay, Lesbian, Women, Immigrant, or any specific group's claims.

That said, I also think that if it makes sense to license all the other things we accept that gov't does, it also makes sense to to me to license firearms. Simple as that.

Steve

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2016 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2