M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Welded/Brazed Gas Blocks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some (if not most) commercial carbine barrels have gas-blocks either welded or brazed in place. Universal took to seriously welding their blocks in place at some point in time. I have ran-across a couple of posts' in other forums where shooters have reported failures in this particular design of gas-block attachment. Does anyone know of, or have any comments concerning this method of gas-block attachment as opposed to the USGI design of the integral or swagged block?

Every time I consider the purchase of one of the better commercial carbines, this always haunts me. Out in the jungle, there seems to be a native behind every bush....

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3304 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  09:48:32 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is why when a USGI block fails from someone over tightened the castle nut means the barrel has to be replaced. Welding and brazing doesn't work. Might last for a box or two of ammo but it will finally crack again.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  07:19:44 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen pictures of a few that were cracked due to nut over-torquing. My question was more directed to the physical attachment of the block to the barrel. The integrity of that particular method of attachment to the barrel and the block itself. The pictures of cracked blocks I've seen have been on barrels with the block welded/brazed in place. I'm sure there have been GI barrels cracked for the same reason, I'm just wondering if the quality of the block itself used on this type of attachment is weaker and more prone to cracking.....for whatever reason.

Edited by - americanboy on 01/01/2017 07:20:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

rg1911

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  5:12:09 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could get the commercial carbine and replace the barrel with a GI-spec one (assuming, of course, that the commercial carbine would accept a GI-spec barrel). Sarco has one listed for $149. For a couple oddball projects, I purchased barrels from Criterion (Krieger) and from Auto-Ordnance. They were more expensive than the Sarco barrel.

You also could just shoot the commercial carbine until (or if) the gas block failed before rebarreling.

Cheers,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3304 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  8:02:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USGI gas blocks did not use any brazing or welding to be attached to a barrel. Some were machined from the same steel as the barrel at the same time. Others were slipped on the barrel under great pressure then rifled along with the barrel. But they were not attached by welding or brazing.

Edited by - Tuna on 01/04/2017 8:04:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me try to ask this another way.

Some commercial carbines have welded/brazed-on gas blocks. Such as Universal (welded), Plainfield and Iver Johnson (brazed).

My question....does anyone know of any issues with the welded/brazed-on COMMERCIAL carbine gas blocks?
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  2:51:09 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AB
I have owned 3 Plainfield carbines and never had any problem with brazed part of the gas cylinder. I am thinking the problem is over tightening the piston nut and/or trying to loosen a piston nut that is frozen in place. To much pressure on either USGI or commercial gas cylinders with the special wrench can damage the cylinder.
SM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  4:43:14 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you swampmolly. That was exactly the sort of information I was after. I think I was just asking the question wrong.

Thanks to all who contributed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2