M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 National Postal Meter
 Newb Looking for a Decent bayonet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

rj06d
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  11:46:40 PM  Show Profile Send rj06d a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all. New to the M1 Carbine game. I have a '43 NPM that I've cleaned up for my dad.

Looking for a source for an original, or nice repro bayonet.

Currently sporting the "aged khaki" look for sling&ammo pouch - would be cool to have a cohesive "look/appearance" if possible.

Anyone have a good lead?? Thanks in advance!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3079 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  11:15:09 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your carbine has been through a rebuild and has the type 3 band with the lug then your all set. If your carbine is closer to being original as it left the factory then you really need to rethink your wanting a bayonet on it. If you check all the on line parts sites you should be able to find a good bayonet and sheath for it. Ebay or Gun broker will most likely have them too but the prices can be quite higher there.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  12:31:56 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Four or fives years ago B4 my carbine enthusiasm days, I had a very good bayonet and sheath. I asked one of my gun show "experts" to value it for me. He had a few on his table with asking prices of $25-$35 and told me mine was worth around $20-$25. That is one of those cases in which one would like to have his butt kicked hard-and-often, because I sold it not long after that. I've not seen one worth buying for less than $100 since then. A good original from the right maker is going to cost $100-plus in today's market.
Go to Top of Page

rj06d
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  3:46:52 PM  Show Profile Send rj06d a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tuna

If your carbine has been through a rebuild and has the type 3 band with the lug then your all set. If your carbine is closer to being original as it left the factory then you really need to rethink your wanting a bayonet on it. If you check all the on line parts sites you should be able to find a good bayonet and sheath for it. Ebay or Gun broker will most likely have them too but the prices can be quite higher there.

@Tuna: Thanks. It does have a lug on it (no idea if "type 3"). I'll check out your recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

rj06d
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  3:49:21 PM  Show Profile Send rj06d a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by americanboy

Four or fives years ago B4 my carbine enthusiasm days, I had a very good bayonet and sheath. I asked one of my gun show "experts" to value it for me. He had a few on his table with asking prices of $25-$35 and told me mine was worth around $20-$25. That is one of those cases in which one would like to have his butt kicked hard-and-often, because I sold it not long after that. I've not seen one worth buying for less than $100 since then. A good original from the right maker is going to cost $100-plus in today's market.

@americanboy: Good to know/Great advice. I had the notion to take it to a gun show and try some on for size. I'll be careful of price gougers.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  07:03:16 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea to check fitment and any USGI may not be an issue, as long as you get a bayonet made to spec. There are a LOT of bayonets out there that were manufactured across-the-pond and you can't always tell by looking. You can google-up some pretty good pages concerning markings and who made them and there are surely plenty of counterfeits out there. If it looks new....it may very well be "new". U have your original WWII types, as well as Korean and Vietnam era examples and even those made up thru the 80's and 90's.

The reason I mention fitment is at the time I had a Universal (Gen 1) on which the M4 bayonet I had would not fit. GOOD idea to check fitment. U should be able to find a common plastic (nylon?) handle bayonet in the $40-$50 range. You can sometimes find a leather handle reproduction in the $50 range, but it will look extremely fresh. There were some of those on e-bay recently that were selling for that. The original M4's with the sheath in good condition are priced at $150 and up depending on condition.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2016 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2