M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 spring maintenance kit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalet
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  11:34:17 PM  Show Profile Send Dalet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do any of you distinguished forum members have a suggested source for the wearable parts in the M1, like: springs, firing pin's, extractors, sear's, etc. I found Fulton, Riverbank, Amazon, and eBay, but I am sure this form has more suggestions.

Thank You.

1944 Winchester M1 Shooter

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

cali201

USA
707 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  05:38:01 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AVOID Riverbank at all costs. They are the world's largest supplier of fake carbine parts.

Edited by - cali201 on 12/21/2016 05:39:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't be classified as distinguished, but I can offer a suggestion having gone (and still going) thru this myself. I think it all depends on what spares you're looking for. First of all, research the forums well to discover who NOT to buy from. Fresh magazines can be had from places like Sarco and other parts-houses (the Korean made ones) as well as certain appearance items and tools. I would only purchase USGI NOS springs. Aftermarket springs can be out-of-spec. After you figure out what's what and what's not by educating yourself....e-bay is a reliable source for good used USGI parts. Some people won't shop e-bay and some hold their nose and shop e-bay.I don't shop e-bay for e-bay, I shop e-bay for me. USGI bolts (complete and stripped) as well as complete and stripped trigger-housings can be had at very competitive prices off e-bay. You can't purchase the individual components for the price you can purchase a complete assembly. You also have a right-to-return if you discover you've made a bad deal.

Beware...there are many components for sale on places like Amazon and e-bay that are aftermarket and should be left-alone. You'll just have to learn what's what and what's not. If you obtain a USGI complete bolt and trigger housing assembly....you have MOST of the spares you'll ever need. Very often, you can find one packed with cosmoline, which is a good thing. I would much rather have a good used USGI part than I would a newly manufactured part any day.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  10:09:23 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would second what Cali has stated. Buyer beware!!!! Fulton is good, Numrich and Sarco also have some good quality parts. Stay away from Wolff springs as most are overly strong. USGI all the way is best. A bolt tool, replacement extractor (type 3)and pin would round out spare parts in case of replacement needed right away. But be sure to get a bolt tool to replace the ejector and spring or the extractor, pin and spring. You will be glad you got one the first time you try to take a bolt apart.
Go to Top of Page

Dalet
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  11:35:41 PM  Show Profile Send Dalet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback. The first thing I did was pick up a bolt tool off of eBay, and wow it sure made life simpler! During the deep cleaning I found that the smaller springs, like: safety, hold open, ejector, etc. were gummed up and showed signs of rust. I soaked and cleaned them in CLP and reassembled. I would think that a complete spring replacement would be in order as this gun has been in my family since 1954, and I am sure that they are original! I checked out Numrich, Fulton, and Sarco per your suggestions, and it looks like these folks sell new parts, where as ebay had more USGI parts (or so they say) ? I would like to get a spare firing pin, as who knows how many times this rifle has been dry fired; and was wondering if all of the variants will work on a Winchester, or do I need a Winchester (WI) firing pin?

Thank You!

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  06:19:17 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just take a good look at that and if there are no obvious signs of peening on the pin or the hammer, chips, cracks or binding...it should be fine. Unless you obtained a NOS that had never been fired, you'd likely get parts that have been fired about as much as yours has. These things are extremely durable. Nothing wrong with having a spare either and yes....any USGI firing pin will work with any USGI carbine. I would look for the most recent production types, as in a Type III pin. Improvements and changes to design were employed during the manufacturing process, so try and obtain the last-n-best component. If your gun is in the collector category, then you'd likely want a Winchester pin, otherwise....any USGI pin will do.

In most cases...who knows how many times most of them have been fired. I'd shoot it and see how she runs. A replacement main-spring is likely a must, if the one in the gun now measures less than 10-1/4".
Go to Top of Page

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

35 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  09:56:06 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a word of caution about springs from Numrich (an otherwise reputable firm...). I bought a set of springs for my Plainfield from them and installed them without difficulty - except for one minor issue - the recoil spring only measured in at 10 1/16" a bit short of the standard 10 1/4"... The weapon still did not cycle properly with more than 100 rounds fired. I pulled the most likely part -that spring and it now measured only 10" (after a bit more than 100 rounds fired in slow fire (range I was at only allowed one round every five seconds...). Did a bit of reading then found new GI springs to replace each and every one of the sub-standard springs from Numrich....

Stick with GI springs, period in my opinion...
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked-up a main-spring from Sarco just to see what it was. It was 11-1/2 inches long and constructed from a different spring-stock than the GI. The gun runs fine with it, but I don't expect it to last very long. That's the end of that experiment. I'm pretty sure that Numrich ran out of surplus GI parts long ago and they offer the same commercial stuff you find elsewhere in many cases.

Edited by - americanboy on 12/22/2016 12:23:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dalet
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  3:51:31 PM  Show Profile Send Dalet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My recoil spring measures 10-1/16 inches, which seems a little short and means that it is getting a little tired based on comments above. Hence, the re-spring thought!

On parallel note - I picked up an Infield brand 10 round mag to replace a 15 round mag (California laws %#%^@), and the Infield mag is not seating all the way to engage the release bar. The Infield measures .0015 inches longer than the 15 round mag, and the center alignment rib is noticeably wider. Is there any adjustment that can be made to the Inland, or should I seek a better brand of mag? I was thinking of giving it good whack to get it seated, but I came to my senses! LOL

Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  6:17:14 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10-1/16" should still be within the proper operating length. 10" is time for replacement

These folks have always been straight up with me. I bought a number of these M1 carbine recoil springs for spares. Appear to be genuine USGI and 10-1/4" in length.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

35 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  10:50:33 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the site I bought my GI replacement recoil spring from... Good results from them (prompt, accurate, etc.).
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  7:31:43 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A firing pin being broken is very unusual. It can happen but it is very rare. When new carbines were tested frequently to 5000 to 6000 rounds without any parts being broken. The military would fire torture tests to as many as 15,000 rounds checking for durability.
Go to Top of Page

Dalet
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  12:00:47 PM  Show Profile Send Dalet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you imagine test firing 15,000 rounds, and just waiting for a failure that might not be what you were expecting. Tough job, but someone has to do it!

Does anybody have any suggestions regarding a decent 10 round magazine? Any comments on ProMag?

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  3:23:14 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goggle ProMag and you will find your answer. They can have issues.

P.S.
I had a piece of information stating that GI carbine barrels were designed for a 25,000 round life. I can't find that publication at the moment. Maybe some long-timers can confirm or question that?

The new Inland has had it's teething problems and I also read where a proof-test had been performed and the new gun fired 1800 rounds before it seized...and this was suppose to be a selling-point for durability.

Edited by - americanboy on 12/26/2016 4:30:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  6:07:32 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check the magazine sub-forum here. I'm sure you'll find the good and bad on ProMag.

Fulton armory sells a 10 shot, blocked from 15 shot magazine. Might be worth a look. Fulton normally sells good quality.
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Dalet
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2016 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile Send Dalet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the feedback...

I returned the Inland mag and the guy on the chat said don't waste your time with ProMag! Enough said and as bonnie suggested I ordered a pair of Fulton 10/15 along with a spring set.

Admin, feel free to move this post if it is posted in the wrong section! I don't want to be a rebel to a new forum!

Thanks
Dale

Go to Top of Page

Dalet
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  11:34:12 PM  Show Profile Send Dalet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered a spring set from Fulton, and the recoil spring measures 9-3/4 inch. They say that their springs are stiffer and will work better at that length. Any comments on this response?

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  06:18:52 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spring rates can vary depending on the spring stock used. I'm sure they did a lot of research to arrive at the best spring design to be used in the USGI Carbine. I have a replacement spring of 11-1/2 inches that works fine....but we don't know for how long. I think monkeying-around with some parts of the design may not be dangerous, but could alter the life and/or function of the gun. Obviously, they knew what they were doing back then to achieve a design that has been this durable. The gun may not blow-up with the use of an aftermarket spring, but longevity and reliability may be affected.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2