M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Piston nut covers "gas tube"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  12:18:57 AM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I bought a Saginaw this week and took it apart to clean it, and I noted that the gun appeared to have been fired lightly (no wear marks) and the gas piston was backed up in the housing, Covered the barrel hole at chamber and the little hole on top of gas tube Blew down the barrel and it "popped" out, it too appeared to be not very dirty, The gun cleaned up very quickly and appeared to have been reparkerized and just looked new. The piston freed up some but went back to "hidey hole" and I again blew down the barrel and it again popped out......THEN it hit me, I never covered the small hole, I looked and sure enough the piston nut was covering the gas tube! I suspect the gun will fire normally (slowly) but will allways "jam" on rapid fire and folks have just sold the gun...next guys prob, Now the hammer plunger was bent, was this poss the cause? This thing also has a stainless steel hammer? never seen one, # on hammer was a S and a 3. So I guess I have to breakdown and buy the piston nut tool and fix this prob, and I suspect this gun has not been shot much with this prob since a "re-build" of some sort.........Thanks

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  10:49:41 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The visible small hole you're calling the "gas tube" (AKA gas port) should be blocked by the piston nut unless the piston nut is nearly completely backed out. The gas port should only be unblocked between the bore and the gas chamber behind the piston otherwise you will loose pressure and the carbine may not cycle properly. Also, escaping hot gasses will blow into the interior of the stock. Check to see if the piston nut is loose. Check out the cross section on this web page to see what I mean.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  4:19:36 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the bent hammer strut. Seems to me that could have happened during improper disassembly/assembly. That's a pretty solid component (unless it's aftermarket) and I find it hard to believe that recoil forces would bend it and not show-up somewhere else. If you have a stainless or plated hammer, which would not be original USGI, you may have some other junk-in-the-trunk?

Edited by - americanboy on 12/12/2016 5:27:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  06:58:48 AM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea Thanks Jack, it was loose
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hammer is most likely what is called In the White. An unblued or parkerized hammer. Many were used and installed during carbine production. Nothing wrong with them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2