M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 New Member Introductions
 New member from Southern Maryland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

USNRet001
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  2:12:19 PM  Show Profile Send USNRet001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

New to the forum but I have been reading posts for several months.

I purchased a new AO Carbine about 6 weeks ago. So far the only issue I've had is getting it to feed properly but I now have two mags that seem to work well. One is 30 cap pro-mag and the other is an AO 15 cap.

I went to the range today and put over 230 rounds thru it. I was using American Eagle 110 FMJ and Sellier and Bellot 110 FMJ. Towards the end the rifle would no longer pull the spent S&B rounds out. I had to clear it with a cleaning rod as the spent round would not drop out. It would however shoot the American Eagle just fine. Is this just a matter of the S&B rounds being slightly larger (I'm guessing)?

As of today I've put about 350 rounds thru it.

Thanks
Steve

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  2:31:46 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the Carbine Forum from New Mexico!

I've found the Federal American Eagle FMJ to be the most accurate in any of my carbines. It's a little pricey but it holds some pretty tight groups for a carbine.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

USNRet001
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  4:18:49 PM  Show Profile Send USNRet001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jack,

I agree, AE is great ammo,

Thanks
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  6:21:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be time to think about giving it a good cleaning as it's new. Normally S&B would function fine in almost any carbine but the wall diameter of the cases may be a little bit thinker causing the case to jam with carbon fouling in the chamber.
Go to Top of Page

USNRet001
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  10:26:48 AM  Show Profile Send USNRet001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna,

I agree a good cleaning is in order at this point. I've never had a FTE issue like this before and was wondering if it was just the weapon getting dirty or if there was something else going on.

Thanks
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  6:12:50 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a good cleaning then you should try it again with the S&B. If it is still happening well it's something else and I would suggest you check the extractor carefully. That also needs to be cleaned too. Let us know how you make out.
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure you keep the box, many owners have had to ship their AO back for repairs.
Go to Top of Page

USNRet001
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  12:31:41 PM  Show Profile Send USNRet001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm finally able to give an update on this rifle. The failure to extract issues and failures to eject properly only became worse.

I sent it off to Kahr for repairs. The turn around time was relatively quick, just about three weeks total. The communication with the manufacturer during the process was not great but it worked.

End result. Kahr replaced the extractor. I went to the range yesterday and put 225 rounds thru it over the course of an hour or so. It only had one failure to extract and no issues with ejections. I used the same S&B ammunition (50 rds) and American Eagle (175 rds). I did have some failures to feed but those were magazine related.

Magazines. I have the 15 rd that came with the rifle and I also purchased a 30 round mag (ProMag, I think) and 2 10 rounders from Numrich. The Kahr mag and the ProMag worked very well with maybe 1 FTF with the ProMag. The Numrich mags always have issues after the 7th or 8th round, every time it seems. I shot most of the 225 rounds using the Kahr and ProMag magazines.

Just my 02. on this rifle. This is the only Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine that I have ever shot so my experience is limited. I do not believe these rifles are worth the money (when bought new). I basically paid $750 for it and I think in the modern age any gun manufacturer should be able to produce a firearm that basically works out of the box. This one clearly did not. I could understand a break in period but having to send it back and get parts replaced is ridiculous. As an example, I had the opportunity to obtain a new Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm at a good price. This rifle has worked flawlessly thru 800 rounds and is accurate out to 100yds. Exactly as I hoped for and expected. I paid less for the Storm than I did the AO Carbine.

The other downside is that there really isn't a market for used AO Carbines. I may eventually trade this one for something else but I don't expect to get much for it.

So if your looking for an M1 Carbine save up your pennies and by a real USGI. There are plenty to choose from and it should hold its value and possibly go up. Good luck and good hunting!
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve, Welcome aboard and congrats on your carbine! I'm sure you'll have many great times shooting it. While I have a '43 NPM GI carbine that's so pristine it's too valuable to shoot, I also have an AO carbine I got new back 5 yrs ago. I found that the best mags for it were the NIB Korean mil mags available at You must be logged in to see this link.

As your AO comes with a M2 style mag catch, it works well with the 30rd mags too. Besides the sling and stock pouch I added, I replaced the original flip rear sight with a Type II adjustable one as I'm use to that one on my GI carbine. My AO is considerably more accurate that my NPM as coffee cup style groups at 100yds are a breeze.

With close to 4K rds through mine, it shoots like a champ and aside from common 30 Carbine issues (infrequent failures to feed are common with all carbines) it runs like a top. As it's true to the original design, it's the same fun to shoot as the original without the worry of ruining or breaking a piece of history.

The only real issues with carbines it that they need to be kept lubed (grease works better than oil) and they need good ammo. The cheap, weak, commie stuff leads to failures and frustrations. Great little carbines and as you can see, they look just like their real cousins.

My 1943 NPM GI on top and my AO on the bottom. (The camera angle wasn't square so it looks like the AO's buttstock is longer.)

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The USGI carbine is the way to go.

Get a few new USGI 15 round magazines. Most commercial magazines seen to always have feed issues. ProMag and the AO mag that comes with the AO carbine do not have very good reputations.

These Korean made magazines work well...You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  6:19:07 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still a shame that someone has to shell out their hard earned money and wind up with a rifle that is not up to par and it seems to becoming the normal for AO to have problems new in the box with their carbines. No wonder the new Inland carbines can't pass muster as they use so many AO parts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2