M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Trigger Spring Tool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daboone

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  07:03:28 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone please explain how the trigger spring tool is used?

I used a soft covered twist tie to keep the trigger spring in place and also to hold the hammer forward while replacing the hammer spring/plunger.

I have the trigger spring tool but from my unskilled take on it the twist tie was much simpler use. Compressing the spring into that tool was a job. I guess I just don't understand how it is set up and used for the rebuild.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you buy the book 'Craig Riesch' "U.S.M1 CARBINE, WARTIME PRODUCTION" North Cape Pub. Inc. it will help a lot. Around $20. I bought mine direct and didn't pay the Amazon markup.
You can take a nail the same dia. as the trigger pin, but short enough to fit in trigger housing. Put your trigger, sear, and spring together. Put in place and push the pin out with the trigger pin. This really helps.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

RASelkirk

50 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  9:05:12 PM  Show Profile Send RASelkirk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't find a vid for the spring tool, but this method may be even better (FF to 55 seconds):

You must be logged in to see this link.

Russ

Edited by - RASelkirk on 10/24/2016 9:06:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  5:57:58 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen those tools listed anywhere from $4.95 to $25.00. I can't imagine how the $25 tool would be better than the $4.95 tool. I'm a tool-guy...have to have one of any kind for everything, but after handling the spring, I determined it would be pretty hard to cram up inside that tool. I passed on the opportunity and found the video mentioned by RASelkirk. Practice it a couple of times and it's almost easy.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3106 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  08:25:43 AM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just use a loop of string. Loop it through the hole in the spring, drop the end thrugh the hole in the housing, then slowly pull the spring into place. Remove the string and you're done!

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2