M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Underwood
 Bought at a pawn shop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

skypilot
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  8:41:28 PM  Show Profile Send skypilot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone help me understand the markings I'm looking at? I bought this over the weekend, I'm thinking it's a nice one, but would like some help determining what I'm looking at

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3123 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  10:17:33 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well under the rear sight you have Underwood and then the serial number. On the heel of the receiver is a US ordnance bomb. The RIA on the stock means that the stock was on a carbine that went through a rebuild at Rock Island Armory. The stamping on the right side of the stock would be the acceptance stamp and would be for the maker of the carbine. It's very hard to read it in the photo. Look in the sling well for any letters in there. Your carbine was updated and rebuilt during the late 40's and early 50's with the adjustable rear sight and the barrel band with the bayonet lug on it. All parts on a USGI carbine are stamped with letters that indicate who the parts were originally made for. Someone own owned it before had the carbine blued. It would have been parkerized originally. It looks real good and should be a good shooting one.
Go to Top of Page

skypilot
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  07:09:59 AM  Show Profile Send skypilot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THanks, that helps! under the sling are the letters P-U which I understand is Pederson Brother, Underwood.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2016 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2