M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Bavarian Carbines
 bavarian, early Winchester
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  05:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At a local gun shop I jumped on a nice Bavarian Winchester Carbine.
Here are the Details (according to Craig Riesch's book M1 Carbines, Wartime prod. 6th Edition)

Receiver type IB, (spring tube) Winchester Serial no. 11182xx
Barrel, type I, W, Winchester proof mark
Rear sight, type III, J.A.O. 7160060
Bolt, type II, SG
Firing pin, type I, W
Extractor, type III, W.I.
Ejector, type I
Barrel band, type IA, unmarked
Front sight, type I, L
Operating slide, type III SG
Operating slide spring housing, type II, unmarked
Trigger housing, type III, SG
Hammer, type III, W (Winchester)
Trigger, type II, LT-Q
Sear, type II, .U.
Mag catch, type IIA, EP-Q
Safety, type III, unmarked
Stock, type I, IO and flaming bomb into sling well, no ordnance acceptance marking visible
Butplate, probably IBM
Recoil plate, type II, DI
Handguard, type I, SG

Finish: The Receiver appears blued and has a dull shine. Barrel appears also blued but glossy. The trigger housing has the light copper color. I refer to Mr. Mock’s Bavarian carbines site, where the reason will be described in detail.
Unusual is the fact that the Carbine has not typical Bavarian marking. There are no evidences on stock, receiver, recoil plate and trigger housing that there was ever a marking that has been removed later. The Stock was sanded but has no rebuild marking.
Another strange marking is the SG on the handguard. There is no evidence that there was ever a R (SG)
The sling did not came with the carbine. It is a later type C with a darker green colored webbing.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  05:20:02 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  05:21:43 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  05:23:27 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  05:25:05 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  05:26:00 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3123 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:00:21 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice find. The front sight is one made by Lyman for Winchester. Not a lot of them were used so they are on the uncommon side. Nice carbine that appears to have not a lot of late parts used on a rebuild. Is the rear sight staked in place?
Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  03:01:04 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tuna. I will check the rear sight and let you know.
Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  2:31:59 PM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's staked in place.

]
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2016 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2