M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Saginaw SG
 SG Snag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

cali201

USA
702 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  6:17:28 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for the last piece of my 10 piece carbine puzzle, an SG. Surfing Gunbroker I saw one for sale by Gander Mountain. Now we have all seen those wonderful carbines from Gander in the $1800-$3000 range but this one had a starting bid of $699? Only bad thing it said about it was the stock had been cracked and repaired. Looking at the pics I could see the piece broken out by the recoil pad on the Underwood M-U T2 high wood stock (hand guard is 2 rivet MU also). I kept looking at the pics of the carbine trying to find out what was wrong with it. Besides the stock I could not see any problems with the limited pictures they posted so I went ahead and bid. It was a heated auction that ended up a whopping $32 over opening bid, so I got it for $731. Received it today, the repaired piece of the stock came off in my hand, repaired with air glue no doubt but I am happy about that as I will contact Frank Derrico about having him repair it but I have other stocks for it so that is no big deal for me. I cannot find anything wrong with this carbine!!. Bore is shinny as a new dime, MW looks ok (see 30.06 round), no import mark, it needed a lot of dried cosmo removed. It even came with a Bren-Dan bayo and a M8A1 scabbard and a genuine Chinese Walmart quality repro sling and oilier.

You must be logged in to see this link.

more pics of the sling well, looks like a strong M and a weak -U. So have to wonder original or being Gander has lots of "correct" carbines was this stock messed with????
You must be logged in to see this link.
Parts are:

T3 Trigger housing SG
T1 unmarked sear
SG marked trigger
T3 hammer SG
T2 mag catch SG
T3 safety unmarked
T4 slide SG
T2 flat bolt SG
extractor SG
Firing pin SG
Front sight unmarked but I beleive it is an SG
Rear sight T3 IROC
Unmarked T3 barrel band
Barrel marked Saginaw S.G. DIV General Motors
Underwood T2 High Wood stock with damage M-U
Underwood MU 2 rivet hand guard

I am quite surprised

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3155 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  8:58:33 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice pick up. How badly staked is the rear sight? You will need an RSG 75 or so marked type 2 stock......If your going to restore it. Won't need much if you can for sure. The SG carbines are on the hard side to find so you did good.

Edited by - Tuna on 08/19/2016 8:59:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
702 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  05:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rear sight does have at least one noticeable stake mark so will leave an adj sight on it (probably change to a T2 as I prefer them). No T3 BB shadow however so it is tempting....I do have a RSG stock on my S'G' I will change it over to when I find a good stock for the S'G'.
Go to Top of Page

TLC954
Greenhorn Member

39 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  3:47:37 PM  Show Profile Send TLC954 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cali,

Since you have other options for a stock on you're tremendous find, would you consider selling the damaged stock as is?

(of course with the broken piece)

It would save you the cost of the repair job, and I'm kind of looking for an M-U stock for one of my Underwoods.

TC
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
702 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry, already sent the stock off to Frank Derrico to have fixed, he is the go to guy for carbine stock repair. May contact you when I get it back about it however.
Go to Top of Page

TLC954
Greenhorn Member

39 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  12:21:21 PM  Show Profile Send TLC954 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK........Thanks

TC
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2