M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Off Topic
 for jimb16
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anvilring
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  6:03:52 PM  Show Profile Send anvilring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few things you might like to see some time seeing how your a son of a GIR vet. I have the 1911a1/shoulder holster, "G" wings, and an old Northwestern Av. company news bullitin concerning the testing of the YCG-13 (later designated the CG-13) that belonged to Col. Bruce Price.
You must be logged in to see this link.

He never flew combat, just worked on the project state side. I bought the pistol and other items from his daughter back in the 90's. As a result of that purchase, I bought Charles Day's excellent book "The Silent Ones" and of course contacted him about my find. He knew of Price and had some anecdotal info to add about the man. Since then I've added a another sets of wings/dog tags that belonged to a (now deceased) Texas resident glider pilot.. many of these guys relocated here to Texas after the war. After all, it's where they trained... they saw it as home.

regards, mitch

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2016 :  7:56:26 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I visited the "SILENT WINGS" MUSEUM when I visited Lubbock Tx. When I looked at the interior of that glider that my father flew into combat in (CG4A) all I could do was look up toward Heaven and say "Father! You were a braver man than I". I have my father's wings and most of his ribbons. I have many small items that he brought home with him including a Russian Red Star that he traded something for when they met the Russians in Germany. Unfortunately, He disposed of all of the items he "captured" and brought home, including a German Hi-Power, that I did get to shoot once. But I still have the "capture papers". I also have some of his pay cards and a pass card from Berlin after the end of the war. He was 1 short on points from being sent home in the first returns. Had to stay an extra 3 months before being rotated to the states and discharged. The reason for that is that he stayed stateside to train the 101st then the 17th before going overseas. Still, he earned 4 battle stars, so he was in the thick of things.
I wouldn't mind seeing your stuff, if you want to send me some pics. Jimb16@Hotmail.com

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

anvilring
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  09:29:58 AM  Show Profile Send anvilring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm back to work/office on Sept. 1st. I'll do some pix and post'em here! The gliders, their troops, pilots and support had such a big role in D-day and some after, only to be quickly replaced by choppers. Some really wild (and dangerous!) techniques were used w/these aircraft. The "snatch method" would give anyone a pucker factor of 101%!

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2