M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 How to repair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lom1

51 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  1:43:19 PM  Show Profile Send Lom1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How would you stablelize this crack.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  3:05:25 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest using a water activated polyurethane adhesive like Gorilla glue. Clamp the joint afterwards as the glue will expand into the wood. Once it dries it's waterproof. I had a similar split in the nose of an Inland stock that I got real cheap from Whatacountry.com. Now you can't tell there ever was a crack. Once it dries you can scrape off any excess glue with a knife blade. The color of the glue matches the stock so it's real hard to see the repair afterwards. Since your split looks fairly tight, I would carefully pry the split apart from the inside to be sure to get the glue to completely fill the joint.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Lom1

51 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  3:40:52 PM  Show Profile Send Lom1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will open if you lift on it. I did try elmers wood glue and it held for a while but came loose. Just concerned if any other glue would penetrate now. Thought about going on the inside to add some other sort of support. I would have to remove some of the other material to make room.
Go to Top of Page

TLC954
Greenhorn Member

39 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  5:07:09 PM  Show Profile Send TLC954 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Lom1
How would you stablelize this crack.

I use glass bedding epoxy to fix stock cracks. Get a kit such as the Miles Gilbert Bedrock kit or the Brownell's Glass Bed kit. These are 2 part paste epoxies that come with epoxy stains such that one can match the wood color nearly perfectly. As was mentioned before, spread the crack from the inside of the stock, press the mixed epoxy into the opened crack, clamp the crack closed if possible, clean up squeezed out epoxy with compatible solvent. I've found by experience that this method holds where Gorilla Glue has has not.

TC
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
707 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  5:11:10 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frank on MILSURPS that does this kind of repair and good chance you will not know it happened. While I have done some of mine (similar to yours) next time I have a stock with a crack I will send it to him and get it done right.

You must be logged in to see this link.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - cali201 on 08/07/2016 2:40:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  6:11:20 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend contacting Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

35 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  07:29:15 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every repair I've seen photos of by him was just outstanding... For those not familiar with his work he's gone to the trouble of posting before and after pics of some really neat repairs - for a variety of stock problems. He's the first guy I'd be contacting if I needed a first class repair, period.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  1:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frank is becoming a legend in the carbine community for his skilled repair work. I understand he is very reasonable in his prices too.
Go to Top of Page

Lom1

51 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  4:20:02 PM  Show Profile Send Lom1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks I will get up with him would there be any contact info for him that someone would share.

On another note we talked about this stock not being correct for the barrel date, you can see this lower cut seems to go forword quite a bit. I wonder if that's normal, maybe this sock has bin cut down. Frack may be able to tell if it's bin cut down ?

Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
707 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  7:36:29 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lots of high woods cut down to low woods had odd cuts, maybe after they came back to work from a liquid lunch lol. You can join the MILSURPS form and them pm Frank about stock repair.

Edited by - cali201 on 08/07/2016 7:52:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2