M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Magazines
 10 Round Mags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UncleTommy
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  12:24:48 AM  Show Profile Send UncleTommy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings! I am new to the M1Carbine world. Because I live in CA, I am limited to 10rd magazines. I bought two from keepshooting and had a bad experience with both. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I am not a collector, I just want a reliable rifle.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  07:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome; First is your carbine GI or commercial? 2nd, what is the problem you are having as it may not be the mags. GK

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

UncleTommy
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile Send UncleTommy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for not including enough pertinent information in the original post. The carbine is GI. I inherited it never having been fired since it was bought in 1965. I throughly cleaned and relubed it. I had purchased two mags. The first worked fine for three times (i.e, 30rds) then began to mis-feed. The mis-feed was such that upon firing, the brass would eject, then the next un-fired round would stove pipe. The second mag worked for about 50 rounds then the bottom plate fell out.
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  1:37:25 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try to get ahold of one of the older 5rd hunting mags and try that.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  1:39:09 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the one that the bottom fell out worked try using locktite on the bottom when you put it back together.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

newbutold
Greenhorn Member

25 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  1:20:57 PM  Show Profile Send newbutold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what I did. My 10 rounders were very oily. I took them apart and cleaned with brake/carb cleaner. Also the springs were installed backwards. They work fine now.
Go to Top of Page

Kilibreaux

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  03:37:45 AM  Show Profile Send Kilibreaux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uncle Tommy,
Since the M1 Carbine was originally built for 15 round magazines, any and all 10 round versions are of PURE CIVILIAN CONSTRUCT! This means they are the magazines least likely to be reliable since they never had to conform to a Mil-Spec standard.

Badger Mountain Supply has 30 round KCI mags available to ship as "rebuild kits"...shipped in multiple packages so they never send you a complete magazine. Order some of those then, when you get them, carefully examine how the round feeding off the RIGHT SIDE of the mag performs. If it kicks out way to the left and jams against the barrel edge, you need to tweak that lip "down/in" a bit with smooth-face pliers and the lateral "splay" on the round will disappear! Generally speaking rounds coming off the LEFT SIDE feed reliably.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2