M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Commercial Carbines
 UNIVERSAL CARBINE SLIDE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Edknn
Greenhorn Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  01:53:58 AM  Show Profile Send Edknn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any one know just how many Universal carbine slides break? Also, is there an avg round count before cracks appear? I have 2 early 2nd gen and love shooting them, but don't want to put undo wear and tear on them and not have them in working condition if they are needed. One has about 100 rounds through it, the other about 300. I just inherited them a while ago. I don't expect any hard round count, but are we talking 1000 rounds, 5000, or can it happen to a like new rifle? Is the cracked slide a problem in all the rifles or just some? I know replacements are impossible to find so the problem is real. I just can't believe they would keep using the same design all those years if the problem was so prevalent. Any insight is appreciated.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  10:01:12 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no way to tell if or when the slide will break. For the most part sometime in it's life it will. But sometimes a broken slide can be welded back together. Depends on where the break is. There are no more slides out there as far as being surplus or normal replacements. Sometimes one can be found on one of the auction sites.
Go to Top of Page

Edknn
Greenhorn Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  10:27:35 AM  Show Profile Send Edknn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll use them sparingly so they will be there if I really need them. I've heard of people with 2000+ rounds and the slide is still good. My luck, they would both go at 1000. They are like new now, so they should be fine if needed. After my bullet puller comes and I do the primer test to see at what position the gun will fire, if it passes they will be put away. Too bad USGI are so high now and hard to find. I wouldn't know what to look for to avoid getting ripped off if I bought a used one.
Go to Top of Page

jski

56 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  7:02:28 PM  Show Profile Send jski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the solution I adopted: You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - jski on 05/08/2017 12:20:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2