M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Misc. Firearms Discussion (M1 Garand, 1911, etc.)
 Ruger security six .357 magnum
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  10:58:12 AM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As handguns go this is one of my favorites, I like the weight and balance. It's a real fun gun to shoot but not a fan of the wood grips. Anyone else have one and change the grips to something else?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  11:34:17 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a security six, but I have 2 Ruger's [.22 conv. single six, Blackhawk .30 carbine] both have wood grips. The single six has smaller grips and is more comfortable shooting.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  12:07:42 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find shooting the 357 mag shells the wood grips allow your hand to slide from the recoil. Not so much if I switch to the 38's.
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  1:09:31 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Taurus 669, ported barrel and the wood grips are not smooth. Easier to hang on to plus the porting really helps with the recoil.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have thought about porting the barrel but it's a 1979 model and in really great shape. Thought if I just changed the grips it would keep it original.
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  1:47:14 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just change the grips and keep the original ones. Pachmayr grips are supposed to be good.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3150 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  3:11:45 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a security six, but I don't seem to have any problem with the grips and neither does my wife.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  4:04:47 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's my girly grip?
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  6:46:11 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+ 1 for Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

BucketBack

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile Send BucketBack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't get packy grips for my Gen I Security Six, I have some special wood aftermarket grips on that I remember knot the brand.

It's on the box the stock grips are in though
Go to Top of Page

Kilibreaux

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile Send Kilibreaux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main issue I had with the Security-Six was that with its super-close BC GAP, under rapid-fire with .357 Magnum loads, it would "lock up" by the third speed loader. It's kind of not the gun's fault because a larger BC gap would have solved the problem, but one must wonder how many officers relied on the Security-Six "platform" without ever knowing it would fail possibly during the second round of 6 full-house .357 Magnum shots, and definitely by the third....unless allowed ample cooling time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2