M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Misc. Firearms Discussion (M1 Garand, 1911, etc.)
 H&R model 922 revolver
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  11:44:31 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a new to me 1953 model 922 9 shot .22 caliber revolver that cartridges won't fully seat to the cylinder easily. Using new winchester 22lr and each chamber will only accept the cartridge about 2/3 before it becomes tight. Cleaned and inspected with the naked eye and see no reason. Any ideas?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  06:24:04 AM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would have to be the ammo, Try a newer box, or try a different weapon. (.223)
Good Luck
SM
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  07:35:23 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a guess; chambered for .22 short or long. Not long rifle.??????????????????????????

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did run them through the 10/22 with no issue, all research I've found shows it takes the long rifle. The cylinder has plenty of length for it. I'm wanting to check it under magnification like a jewelers loop and then maybe test with drill blank. I don't know what else
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:42:24 AM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10 22 auto loader, you might not notice if the lead was swollen up a little. Try loading the 10 22 by hand. ????
I had a single shot 22 that all of a sudden the bullets were hard to insert in the chamber by hand but went in fine using the bolt. That's why I say it has to be the ammo unless the cylinder was made wrong.(highly unlikely)
SM

Edited by - swampmolly on 04/03/2016 09:51:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  10:36:46 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess #2; cylinder changed or modified?

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks to be original cylinder, all the blueing fade matches. Trying to find the chamber inside diameter specs and mic the chamber at different depths for inconsistencies. I'm trying not to spend the value of the pistol at gunsmith.
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  11:58:45 AM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also grabbed different rounds in the box and tried applying a little pressure then checked the brass for marring. I need a better magnifying glass.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  12:05:47 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larry, Measure the OD of the lead part of the ammo. (.223) Just checked copper coated new 22 LR projectile. That is all I got for you on this. :)
SM
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  12:14:06 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to measure and let you know what I find out.
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  12:15:20 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does Captain Obvious have any input?
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  1:29:23 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
?????????????????????????????

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

Captain O
Advanced Member

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  4:23:55 PM  Show Profile Send Captain O a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LarryG

Does Captain Obvious have any input?

I own one of these little revolvers and never had any problems when it came to getting ammunition to chamber.

Try inserting other ammunition. If that fails, see if you can arrange for a gunsmith to use extremely fine jeweler's rouge on a bore mop inside of the chambers to remove any imperfections.

That's all I would venture to guess/advise.

"Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound, its... Captain Obvious"!

"Living well is the best revenge". - George Herbert

"The Administration of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy should never interfere with the true Administration of Justice". - Captain Obvious

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

"Spelling and grammar count". - Captain Obvious
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  5:08:25 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess #3; When you cleaned it, what did you use? Will an empty shell chamber in the cylinder? If not, did you try bore cleaner and a wire bore brush? I'm thinking it was put away for a long time dirty and the end of the cylinder bores have a little corrosion. What shape is the barrel in?

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  7:17:29 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It had been sitting a long time and I used bore cleaner and brass brushed then cleaned and oiled. The barrel is clean, the cylinder looks clean and minimal grime on the patches. I had someone look at it today and they thought the same thing. It's an inexpensive gun that may have a ridge of crud and the tolerances may be off.
Go to Top of Page

LarryG
Greenhorn Member

40 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  7:20:50 PM  Show Profile Send LarryG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We brass brushed the cap out it and worked rounds in and out. It will accept a full seated round without forcing and he seemed to think another type of ammunition would also be easier. I appreciate the help and enjoy talking guns with you.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  7:40:55 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it.
SM
Go to Top of Page

Captain O
Advanced Member

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  9:05:55 PM  Show Profile Send Captain O a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I KNEW somehow it had to be something of that nature. Glad to hear your problem has been resolved.

"Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound, its... Captain Obvious"!

"Living well is the best revenge". - George Herbert

"The Administration of Justice should be tempered by mercy, but mercy should never interfere with the true Administration of Justice". - Captain Obvious

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

"Spelling and grammar count". - Captain Obvious
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2