M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Magazines
 Mag followers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clyde
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2016 :  6:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send Clyde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 5 GI mags. 3 of them are OK, 2 of them will not feed the last round or sometimes 2 rounds. Wolf springs seem to be available for these mags (15 rounders) Is there a need to replace the followers and are they available?
I was one of the lucky people that received a Carbine from the CMP go around on Feb. 1st. Received a SSG made in Sagainaw in early 1944.(Less than 20 miles from my home)

We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossibe for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long, we can now do anything with nothing!!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jimb16

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  3:37:38 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would tear down the mags and give them a thorough cleaning before looking to replace the springs. IF you do replace the springs, you shouldn't need to replace the followers.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  3:54:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, don't put the spring in backwards. Here's a video that shows how it goes.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Clyde
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  9:07:06 PM  Show Profile Send Clyde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bingo!! I had already dis-assembled and cleaned the mags. I put the springs back in the same way they had come out, which was backwards. They are now properly installed. I will try them again on next range trip. (Hopefully on Friday)
Thanks for the heads up JackP

We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossibe for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long, we can now do anything with nothing!!
Go to Top of Page

Clyde
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  3:50:36 PM  Show Profile Send Clyde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Range time today. The 2 mags still do not feed the last round. They are clean and springs are properly installed. I will obtain some new mag springs and try again.

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  9:57:55 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clyde, You could also try one of the new Korean made magazines. Around $10 for a new magazine and they are as good as a USGI magazine.
Go to Top of Page

TLC954
Greenhorn Member

39 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile Send TLC954 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clyde,
One thing you could try is to spread the mag. lips just a tad at where the cartridge exits the magazine. I had a Groetchen Tool Co. magazine made for Quality Hdwr.& Machine that wouldn't feed anything, and after spreading the mag. lips, it worked just fine. No guaruntees, though.
Go to Top of Page

Clyde
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  9:11:57 PM  Show Profile Send Clyde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have ordered some new Wolfe springs for the mags. I will also be ordering some of the Korean mags. Of the 2 mags that are mis-behaving, one is a Winchester that is pretty well beat up, so I don't hold much hope for that one.

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  8:12:14 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be surprised what a little TLC could do....

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Loose Noose
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2016 :  7:52:14 PM  Show Profile Send Loose Noose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought two 30 round mags from "Keep on Shooting" quite a while ago and they both function perfectly. Later got 4, 15 round mags, from them and they also function perfectly, I do believe they are Korean made, but they don't have any markings or any thing to indicate that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2