M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 M1 carbine stock finish/oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Krag1899
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  11:11:40 AM  Show Profile Send Krag1899 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you guys give me your opinion on the best finish/oil to put on a dry stock. I have one that was professionally cleaned.....no sanding, but it seems to be a tad dry.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp

USA
950 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  6:06:58 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My recommendation is raw linseed oil (AKA flax seed oil from the health food store). Apply it with a cleaning patch and then rub it in by hand until your stock is dry to the touch. Repeat over and over while watching "The Longest Day" or "Saving Private Ryan". Before long it will impart a warm sheen. It may initially seem sticky but it will dry a little and the stickiness will go away. Discard your oily cleaning patches carefully as this stuff is famous for spontaneous combustion. Be sure to wipe the neck of the bottle off before putting it away or you will glue the lid on.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 02/27/2016 6:09:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2