M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Rock-Ola
 Rockola 6.2 S/N
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  12:10:51 PM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All,

I am a new poster and new to the M1 Carbine. I have wanted one for a long time, ever since I shot my Grandfather's.

I came across a Rockola at my LGS on Saturday for $1200. It was really filthy and the bore looked like it had a ton of crap in it. I was reluctant to buy so I handed it back to the salesman. I returned home and called Pappy up to ask him about it.

I told him it was a Rockola and it was covered in cosmoline. I really couldn't get a good look at it but the stock looked great.
He just about fell out on the floor and said "son, I have been looking for a Rock for a long time! Go and buy the damn thing!"

So I went back and haggeled with the price and I paid $1000+tax for it. I was really nervous about it because I didn't take it apart to really check it out.

It was covered in a green looking cosmoline or grease. but I did a detail strip and cleaned the entire carbine. To my amazement, it was just about all Rockola components.

The chamber was covered in grease, when I cleaned it I noticed that it was in the white. My Pappy said that means it was never reparked or went to an Arsenal for a rebuild. Very Cool!

Well Here it is:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - Retired AF CE on 02/10/2016 1:02:59 PM

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  12:14:56 PM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deleted by me.

Edited by - Retired AF CE on 02/10/2016 1:03:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  12:42:14 PM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill try this.

Edited by - Retired AF CE on 02/10/2016 12:49:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  12:52:59 PM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trigger group:

Go to Top of Page

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  12:58:25 PM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chamber and bolt:

Go to Top of Page

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  1:01:10 PM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Front sight, slide, barrel band and stock sling cutout.

Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  1:31:13 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice find!!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  1:31:30 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking carbine! Actually it probably has been through an arsenal rebuild. They didn't necessarily repark every carbine rebuilt. The clue that it has been rebuilt is the presence of an adjustable rear sight, a barrel band with a bayonet lug and the later type mag catch. It would have originally had a 2-position flip rear sight, no bayonet lug and a mag catch without the "M" marking. Also, you have a very nice looking Overton stock, made originally for an Inland carbine, again maybe switched during an arsenal rebuild. Look for the "Rockola" stamp on the barrel behind the front sight to see if it's original. It does look very clean and probably will be a good shooter.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  7:00:03 PM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackp

Nice looking carbine! Actually it probably has been through an arsenal rebuild. They didn't necessarily repark every carbine rebuilt. The clue that it has been rebuilt is the presence of an adjustable rear sight, a barrel band with a bayonet lug and the later type mag catch. It would have originally had a 2-position flip rear sight, no bayonet lug and a mag catch without the "M" marking. Also, you have a very nice looking Overton stock, made originally for an Inland carbine, again maybe switched during an arsenal rebuild. Look for the "Rockola" stamp on the barrel behind the front sight to see if it's original. It does look very clean and probably will be a good shooter.

Thanks Jack, yes it is a Rockola barrel. It has a muzzle reading of 1. I am very excited about it. I guess it could be an arsenal rebuild.

I cant wait to go and shoot it. Do you think it is worth the $1000 I paid?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:00:19 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might have paid $1000 for it. It looks like it's in real good condition and will probably shoot well. It really all depends on what part of the country you're in and how strong the market is there. Some will tell you it's a little on the high side, but sometimes you have to go for it.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3322 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:28:19 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the rear sight is marked on the right side with I.R.Co or has an H inside a shield it very well could be original for your serial number as your carbine is near the end of Rock-Ola production in April 1944. The only thing that is shown that is not Rock-Ola is the type 3 barrel band and the stock. The rest appears to be all Rock-Ola. Nice find for the money.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:33:00 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AF CE, Welcome to the forum.
I came across a picture of the front sight and it may be the angle of the camera but to me the blade looks a lot shorter than normal. It may be fine but it may shoot quite high. I hope it works out for you but if you can not find the target you will know why. :) It sure is a nice looking rifle.
SM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:55:46 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like the rear sight is marked "PI" which is an Inland sub-contractor. Swampmolly is right, the front sight looks like it has been filed to zero elevation with the original flip sight. It probably will shoot high with the replacement Type 2 adjustable sight. My carbines had the same problem. I just added material using JB Weld epoxy and painted it with a black Sharpie after filing it to zero elevation with the adjustable sight. That way you don't alter the original metal and finish and it's pretty durable.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  08:41:03 AM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I do think the front sight is shaved down. I will check on it when I go shoot it. I am ordering a bolt tool. I want to inspect the bolt/parts and clean it before I shoot it.

Do any of you think I should order a spring replacement kit for it?

Thanks for all your replies. I have learned a lot about the carbine in a very short time. I am enjoying this hobby!
Go to Top of Page

Retired AF CE
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  08:43:28 AM  Show Profile Send Retired AF CE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were to get it reparked, would it hurt its value any?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and needed.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly it looks like the original finish is pretty good. Reparking it won't increase it's value and probably cost you a couple hundred bucks. Save your money and wait until you see how it works before you change any springs. If you do need to replace the springs use original USGI, not commercial replacements, especially "Extra Power" springs. The only one that might be questionable is the recoil spring. Check it's free length. If it's 10.25", you're good to go. A 70 year old USGI recoil spring is usually better than a brand new "Extra Power" spring.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  8:48:07 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jack gave you some good advice. Don't repark and don't change springs unless they are needed. Try it fist.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2