M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 Barrel finish
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Krag1899
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  12:16:05 PM  Show Profile Send Krag1899 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My NPM carbine has a correcttly marked flip sight with no staking marks. It is a sub contract receiver by virtue of the "U" stamped on the bevel for Union Switch and Signal. The stock is Appropriately marked for a NPM. Trigger group is a NPM with several smaller internal parts being different manufacturers. Bolt and Slide are NPM as well. I recently found a crackerjack NPM marked High wood stock which I will be installing and hopefully a correct type II front sight. Unfortunately it has an INland Type III bayonet lug/barrel band. Underneath, the band, the finish is considerably worn to a light green/grey. Im going to replace this barrel band with a Type II unmarked band and I want to touch the barrel coloration to even it out. Does anybody have any suggestions short of telling me to get the whole barrel refinished ?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  12:31:13 PM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the crackerjack NPM highwood you found have type one barrel band marks in it only or are there already type two/three band marks present also on the nose of the stock? If it has type one marks only, I wouldn't dare put that stock on a carbine with a type two/three band on it; you will be ruining much of the value of it if you do. What code is currently on your front sight that you want to change it? Be careful going by the various books out there as they have errors or poorly explain when a particular part was used by a particular manufacturer. Finally, can you post a few pictures of this stock, especially the nose from the top?
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  1:29:27 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
would like to see pictures of that correct flip sight. Barrel band shadow will always be there unless you have the entire barrel refinished but by doing so it is now refinished, so you defeat the purpose.
Go to Top of Page

Krag1899
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  10:27:59 PM  Show Profile Send Krag1899 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The serial number range on this carbine allows for a high wood stock. It also calls for a type II barrel band and that's what it will sport. This isn't a museum piece by far so I'm not overly concerned. The sight that came on the Marlin barrel was stamped EU and I can't find any references that show it being used on a NPM carbine. I'm just trying to swap out parts that do not belong on the gun for those that do. The barrel band that I took off was stamped for Inland and a Type III or IV. I'm partial to the older flip sights and high wood stock. Don't know how to load pictures or I would send my collection.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  9:26:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NPM received at least two shipments of front sights from Underwood. These could very well have been marked EU as the time is late fall 1943. NPM also received about 25,000 barrels from Marlin in Oct.1943 and again in Dec. 1943.
Go to Top of Page

Krag1899
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  6:35:32 PM  Show Profile Send Krag1899 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tuna. It worked out for the best after all . My Underwood didn't have the correct front sight, but it does now. I also won an auction for a SN marked NPM front sight so I'm happy as a clam. Now if I can figure how to post pics on this sight I'll be good 2 go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2