M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 rivets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeurbas

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile Send mikeurbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone interested, while rebuilding my after market paratrooper stock, I was able to use a roll pin punch to peen the rivets, even achieving a rolled over look, by angling the punch around the side of the rivets.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

mikeurbas

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  11:23:10 AM  Show Profile Send mikeurbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A second note on the above topic, I had to start peening the rivets with a regular punch, then move on to the roll pin punch.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  1:47:05 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great! Can you post some pictures of the results and also of the punches you used?

JackP
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  6:06:30 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! You have to love ingenuity and persistence!!!!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

mikeurbas

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  6:09:02 PM  Show Profile Send mikeurbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jack, I would love to post pics. but I don't know how. can you help?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  7:11:49 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Upload your pictures to an image hosting web site like Photobucket or Imgur. Then copy the "Direct" link and paste it in your reply dialog box between the bracketed "img" statements. Like this:

[img*]You must be logged in to see this link.[/img*]

Do just like above except don't include the asterisks (*). I put them there so it would not post the picture but so it would show you what a typical statement looks like.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 01/20/2016 7:14:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikeurbas

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  11:46:59 AM  Show Profile Send mikeurbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
doing that is past my limited computer skills, sorry
Go to Top of Page

mikeurbas

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  11:48:02 AM  Show Profile Send mikeurbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fyi, I used a 5/16 roll pin punch, and a 3/8 round nose punch to start the rivets.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2