M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 Refinishing a reproduction stock.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BatBoy
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  7:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send BatBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have a Quality Hardware M1 Carbine that I would like to restore. I found it at a local pawn shop and for some reason had to have it.

I'm new to the m1 Carbine world, so forgive me if I get the terms wrong or mixed up.

The first thing I would like to do is buy a reproduction walnut stock to put it in. It currently resides in a reproduction paratrooper stock. I'm putting that stock on an auto ordinance M1 Carbine I purchased for WW2 reenacting. The AO carbine also, came with a reproduction paratrooper stock, but I will be selling that stock, as I prefer the before mentioned stock on the Quality Hardware carbine.

Once I purchase a walnut reproduction carbine stock what are my best options for reproducing the red patina that people associate with WW2 carbine stocks have?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3248 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  7:53:09 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The red patina is more a form of oxidation by years of oil, grease and sweat on the wood. If a WW2 stock were to be cleaned properly it would not have any red color to it. Now the best color in my opinion was with the early stocks made from top grade walnut. Once cleaned they have a nice warm glow about them that later stocks just didn't have as the quality of the walnut dropped. The reproduction stocks being made now are out of a good quality walnut and with a bit of hand rubbing with lightly applied raw linseed oil will have that glow.
Go to Top of Page

BatBoy
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  8:14:37 PM  Show Profile Send BatBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So raw lindseed oil instead of BLO?
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  05:08:49 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why get a new looking stock that you want to use, it would look out of place in the field. Like many farbs who showed up and remained in perfectly clean uniforms when I was reenacting. Get a decent GI stock that has the character....unless you are one of those who wants to go in the field with all shinny, new looking equipment. We would find it amusing when after a full day or two of reenacting that some came out with the perfect uniform, equipment they started with. We (101st ABN, 506hth, Dco) were mud crawlers. Something like this stock You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

BatBoy
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  12:18:52 PM  Show Profile Send BatBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to clarify some things. The standard M1 carbine stock is not for reenacting. It's to have a nice stock to put a spare M1 Carbine in. I'm not a collector. I can appreciate those that collect,but it's just not my thing. I'd rather buy a new stock set and refinish it myself.

I currently have two M1 Carbines; a new Auto Ordinance and a USGI Quality Hardware. Both are in reproduction Paratrooper stocks. I plan on selling one of the stocks and buying standard M1 Carbine stock.

The AO M1 Carbine and reproduction paratrooper stock will be used for reenacting. That rifle & stock will have to "aged" and finished to look like a field rifle.

Edited by - BatBoy on 01/16/2016 12:33:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1033 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  1:58:53 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get flax seed oil sold in health food stores. It's the same stuff as raw linseed oil and works great. That way you can get it in a small 8 ounce bottle. 8 ounces will last forever. Wipe the lid off before putting it away or it will glue itself to the bottle.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  4:33:45 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PM sent with stock info
Go to Top of Page

BatBoy
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  12:10:56 PM  Show Profile Send BatBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackp

Get flax seed oil sold in health food stores. It's the same stuff as raw linseed oil and works great. That way you can get it in a small 8 ounce bottle. 8 ounces will last forever. Wipe the lid off before putting it away or it will glue itself to the bottle.

Thank you. Flax seed oil it is.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2