M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Underwood
 Underwood M1 carbine up for review!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dannyjunkfish
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  08:39:44 AM  Show Profile Send Dannyjunkfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Just purchased this m1 carbine, for a rather hefty price tag. (I can return it, so not stuck on loosing out) I posted this on The Gunboards Forum, and have gotten mixed reviews. I have serval books about the m1's and things look ok to me, but I am far from an expert! So I am trying to get as many opinions as possible.

My question is does it look all WWII correct? Or Someone trying to pass it off as WWII?

Just going to copy and paste what one member said.

"The stock has been sanded, stripped and refinished. It also has been cut down as can be seen as the hand guard does not line up properly with it. The rear sight has been off the carbine and the left side of the pin is flat. It should not be if it's all original as claimed by the sellers." From Tuna

BTW thanks TUNA! You may of saved me some serious $!

Here is the link to the pictures:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Thank you for any help!

-Danny

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  12:15:43 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Danny and welcome to the carbine forum from New Mexico.

I go along with Tuna on the stock. It looks nice but has been sanded so much that the area where the forearm meets the hand guard is too rounded, both on the stock and on the hand guard. Also the cutouts over the operating slide are way too mismatched. They should be more in line with each other. I'm surprised the ordinance stamp is still visible. At least care was taken to preserve it.

The sight does look put together, possibly from genuine parts but the pin is wrong.

Still, it's a nice carbine, just not $2K nice.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 01/15/2016 12:16:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dannyjunkfish
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  4:17:01 PM  Show Profile Send Dannyjunkfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome Jack! Hello from Mass!

Thanks for the info! As you said it's not 2K nice! So definitely going to send it back. I very much appreciate the input!
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3265 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  7:55:44 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danny where in Mass are you?
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  05:20:20 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have to wonder if that is not a high wood cut down making the mismatch between hand guard and stock. I have been looking at an M1A1 stock that was cut down and done poorly, I also have a high wood cut down and back that looks like this one in the hand guard match up area. Cartouche does look a little strong compared to others of that age. What are the letter in the sling well? Don't look like the M-U or P-U that you would normally see but then again picture is not the greatest.
Go to Top of Page

Dannyjunkfish
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile Send Dannyjunkfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna,

Small world. I am in Natick, what about you?

-Danny
Go to Top of Page

Dannyjunkfish
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  08:19:00 AM  Show Profile Send Dannyjunkfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cali,

So it sounds like the stock may be a post war hack up. Someone trying to pass it off as WWII.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3265 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  2:56:55 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danny, I was just looking at the pictures on GB again but didn't notice this before. The stock at one time had a carbine in it that had a type 2 or a type 3 barrel band on it. And being that it has been cut down I would say it could have been through a rebuild at one point but it does mean that your carbine is a put together unit and not original. Southeast of you towards F.R.
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
High wood cut down to low wood was a normal thing for those stocks at the high wood area was weak, this was most often done during a carbine re-build but also would have resulted in a rebuild mark on the left side which is not present. It could have been done before a rebuild but unlikely and then again maybe it is not a T2 stock that was cut down, just my eyes. . It certainly looks age wise but you, you never know when you might find a strong cartouchee, so far the ones I have seen from Underwood by that age are usually pretty weak. I also know the guy on flea bay sells the Underwood stamp as I, when I began, bought one but never used it and re-sold it. What are the letters in the sling well? I would not worry about the stock, it looks good and hard to call the stock fake to the seller at this point. But the carbine, for it's parts does call for a high wood stock no doubt. Look on the inside from the low wood area back along that line, do you see any area that might have been where the high wood ended and was cut from? On a few of my cut downs I can tell where it ended, they people doing the cut downs were not skilled surgeons.
Go to Top of Page

Dannyjunkfish
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  3:10:35 PM  Show Profile Send Dannyjunkfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent it back, I very much appreciate the help everyone! If I am spending top dollar, going to wait to get 100% correct.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2