M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 I.B.M.
 My IBM carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JBipes
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2015 :  8:55:54 PM  Show Profile Send JBipes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My carbine is s/n 3957XXX which dates it to March of 1944. Most all parts marked with the IBM 'B'. Barrel and receiver marked "I.B.M. CORP.". Stock is by Jamestown Lounge Co "JL-B" on left inside the butt indent. There is a partial double-struck cartouche (crossed cannon) on the right side of the buttstock.
Only non-original parts seem to be the rear sight [postwar I.R.CO.], upper handguard [Rockola] and the sear [type 1 vice type 2].
In process of getting a period correct sling and oiler.
A woodpatch on the right side of the stock at the oiler slot probably repaired damage done when removing the oiler(?).
No arsenal stamps to show stateside overhaul after the war, possibly didn't get overhauled or was done overseas where no stamping would have been done to stock.
Had some pics but not gonna give photobucket $400 a year to keep them up here :(

Edited by - JBipes on 09/27/2017 11:21:24 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  4:14:36 PM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats, the picture of the staking on the rear sight proves it's original to your carbine. One other thing too, Rock-ola sent fifty thousand handguards to IBM in September of 43. There's a chance it could be original also, but the timing of that versus when your carbine was built could pose a problem...maybe!
Go to Top of Page

JBipes
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  5:43:07 PM  Show Profile Send JBipes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would the different finish shade be the giveaway that it wasn't the original hand guard?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  8:43:41 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most likely it has been changed.
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2015 :  05:16:29 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
other then us (collectors/carbine addicts) no one during production or rebuilding cared if wood colors matched. They just slapped on a hand guard and sent the carbine on it's way.
Go to Top of Page

JBipes
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  5:15:00 PM  Show Profile Send JBipes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So there is a possibility that mine is all original
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  11:56:47 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible? Yes it is BUT then again you do not know what the parts are inside the trigger housing or the bolt. The hand guard is most likely NOT original to your carbine. I cannot find any reference to a transfer of hand guards to IBM from Rock-Ola. It could have happened on a cleaning detail and someone grabbed the wrong hand guard. Lots of possibilities why it's not the original.
Go to Top of Page

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  6:04:29 PM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The info on IBM receiving handguards from Rock-ola came from War Baby, Vol, one. I think it's a changeover too, but try and match up the dents on the handguard with the stock dents and see if they match, although that's hardly an exact science.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  10:52:07 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The stocks and hand guards were in Sept. 1943. His carbine was made in the March/April time frame and I doubt that any stocks or hand guards were left over to use by that point in time with a about 150,000 carbines made in 1943 after the stocks were order and another 116,000+ till his was made. BUT anything is possible. Who knows it could have been stuck in the bottom of a bin.
Go to Top of Page

JBipes
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  8:16:09 PM  Show Profile Send JBipes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No evidence of any stock dents or scratches that would have extended to the handguard but it is slightly wider at the front end than the stock, and not a really good alignment between it and the stock at the rear left (overhang on handguard) and right side forward of the notch (handguard narrower than stock). Is it reasonable to believe that exact workmanship was not a priority when making these that these, given the priorities of war needs?
Go to Top of Page

wtmr
Greenhorn Member

37 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send wtmr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was 50,000 rmc stocks transferred, am guessing included handguards-I have qrmc with ibm cartouche
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  10:06:54 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marcus, Ruth states the RMC stocks were used by about the end of October 1943. I would find it a bit hard to believe a hand guard was not used till 5 months later in March 1944. But anything is possible I guess.
Go to Top of Page

wtmr
Greenhorn Member

37 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  10:51:51 AM  Show Profile Send wtmr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a 3953xxx--it has couple parts in it like they were cleaning closets out
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2