M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 Missing some parts. Need help.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RT Ohio
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  4:51:37 PM  Show Profile Send RT Ohio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. Just joined and I already need some help. I am missing some parts from my Carbine that is keeping me from enjoying it. Here are the odds and ends that need replacing.

1) Slide stop spring and pin
2) Extractor pin and spring
3) Bolt assembly/disassemble tool claw. Found one on e-bay and here is what I am looking for: You must be logged in to see this link.

What I am hoping is that their might be somebody here that has all of these parts so I can buy from him. If not that is just OK too. Looking for parts that are as new as I can get. PLEASE let me know asap if you can help a fellow Carbine lover out. Let me know how much too. Thanks guys!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the carbine forum!

Sorry, I don't have any spares, but be careful not to switch the stop spring and the extractor plunger spring. They look the same. The extractor plunger spring is the longer one.

The claw on e-bay sounds like a good deal with free shipping. Or you can get a whole new tool on Amazon for $34.50 (also free shipping).

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  7:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again. I just saw this on e-bay and thought of you. Spring looks like it might have had a few coils cut off but the stop looks good. Check it out. Free shipping!

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  06:55:39 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to my book Riesch] that is not the correct spring. For that slide stop the spring should be 8 coils and .350 in long.
As for the claw, Buy it I bought one to replace soft aftermarket one and it works great. Real GI also this guy has a lot of other parts and is a reputable dealer, even if he is across the pond.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!

Edited by - shadycon on 11/02/2015 06:59:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

RT Ohio
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  12:12:46 PM  Show Profile Send RT Ohio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Anybody know where I can find the pin that holds the slide stop and spring in place?
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  1:36:50 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no pin that holds it all together in the new type slides. Ck out this video.

SM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw this on ebay today. If you can get anything on ebay for under $5, including free shipping, then you should get it.

This guy has extractor plungers w/springs too.

It looks like everything is NOS.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 11/02/2015 6:38:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

RT Ohio
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  2:40:26 PM  Show Profile Send RT Ohio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again guys! Swampmolly, I was looking at the old TM 9-1276 and the wrong picture. Great video by the way too. I should really improve my Google-Fu first before asking. Feeling a little sheepishly now.

I have another question for all of you. My gas cylinder is a little loose too. It doesn't slide up or down the barrel but does move from side to side. I am going to estimate that it moves approximately 1 millimeter or so. Shouldn't that cylinder be on that barrel extremely tight? If the rifle still works regardless, in the long run will I have to change out the barrel?

Edited by - RT Ohio on 11/03/2015 3:02:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

RT Ohio
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  3:41:52 PM  Show Profile Send RT Ohio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should says it wants to rotate a little, still a millimeter or so.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RT, a loose gas cylinder is not good. It's supposed to be tightly swaged onto the barrel. If it moves at all the repeated hammering from the action of the piston against the operating slide will wear it out quickly. You might want to see if a gunsmith can silver solder it to the barrel. Or perhaps they can pin it like the Type IIA barrels used in some early Inland carbines. If not, it will probably get looser until it moves axially and the rifle quits functioning.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  8:26:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you saying the gas cylinder itself moves or the nut in gas cylinder the piston sits in moves?
Go to Top of Page

RT Ohio
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  1:15:05 PM  Show Profile Send RT Ohio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gas cylinder housing moves. I.e., it wants to rotate a little around the barrel. It doesn't move forwards or backwards.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  4:25:38 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RT, after looking at a detailed drawing of the barrel and gas cylinder assembly it looks to me that there is little chance for it to move axially. There is a shoulder on the rear and an annular groove on the front where it's swaged. As it wears, it will likely only loosen radially. There might be a danger of the cylinder rotating out of alignment with the gas port but all that will happen is it will fail to cycle. If it were mine, I would have someone tack weld the cylinder to the barrel in one spot and be done with it.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

RT Ohio
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  10:05:32 PM  Show Profile Send RT Ohio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jackp, that is my thought too. Eventually it will move enough to cut off maybe 1/3 of the gas going to the piston. I am looking at my options based on what you said with silver soldering and now tack weld. I live in Northeastern Ohio. I need to find a very reliable gunsmith to do this.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PM sent.

JackP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2