M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 barrel band replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Claymore
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  10:22:30 AM  Show Profile Send Claymore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a new (low wood) stock and handguard for my RI Arsenal refurbished Carbine from Inland Manufacturing in Dayton.
Unfortunately, my existing (bayonet lug) barrel band won't fit over the end of the new handguard. Inland sent me one of their own bands(w/bayonet lug) which should presumably fit their stock.
Here's my question: do I have to remove the sight to replace the barrel band? I'd really rather not, and that seems like a bigger deal that might really affect accuracy just to fix a cosmetic problem.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  11:16:05 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new stock and hand guard are the problem, not your original barrel band. Who knows what other fit problems you will run into if you switch barrel bands. And yes, you have to remove the front sight. I suggest finding a USGI stock.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Sleeplessnashadow
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  7:39:32 PM  Show Profile Send Sleeplessnashadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Claymore, the "Inland" carbine being made is a commercial replica of a GI carbine. As with Auto-Ordnance, "Inland" is having some quality control problems with some of the parts they have made for them. I recommend sending it back and tell them it won't fit a GI carbine. I can't recommend anything made by the new "Inland" given the number of problems myself and others are having with their carbines. Stock and handguards included sometimes. Customer Service keeps saying they are working on it but haven't seen any changes yet.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Claymore
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  11:29:36 AM  Show Profile Send Claymore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks guys. Any good leads on where to get original USGI stocks/handguards?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  12:01:44 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Claymore, there are always USGI carbine stocks and handguards for sale on ebay. Also, whatacountry.com usually has a selection available ranging from "collector" stocks to "damaged but useable". Below are a few links you can try.

You must be logged in to see this link.

I don't know what your budget is or whether or not you want a "new" stock but there are lots of stocks available on-line. Just be sure to get a marked USGI stock. Avoid unmarked stocks. They may be the same as what you already have.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 10/21/2015 12:02:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Claymore
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  2:19:34 PM  Show Profile Send Claymore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks guys. Any good leads on where to get original USGI stocks/handguards?
Go to Top of Page

Claymore
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  2:20:55 PM  Show Profile Send Claymore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks JackP!
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
707 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  06:10:01 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Claymore

I recently bought a new (low wood) stock and handguard for my RI Arsenal refurbished Carbine from Inland Manufacturing in Dayton.

Refurbished???? Isn't Inland Mfg selling new carbines made with cast receivers???? (and a lot of other cast parts?)
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  09:59:38 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cali, I read that as a new stock for his old refurbished carbine. I think Claymore has an Underwood with a damaged stock.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  1:36:43 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Claymore, welcome from florida
You say that the barrel band wont fit over the fore-stock, does that mean it fits nicely over the stock and the barrel band latch cut out is in the proper place? If that is the case then why not carefully reform the front of the new fore-stock to fit under the barrel band with a safe edge file, so that it fits. ( just a thought )
SM
Go to Top of Page

Sleeplessnashadow
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  04:09:53 AM  Show Profile Send Sleeplessnashadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Refurbished???? Isn't Inland Mfg selling new carbines made with cast receivers???? (and a lot of other cast parts?)
[/quote]

I think some folks unfamiliar with carbines may be confusing the relatively new commercial carbine maker "Inland Manufacturing" with the WWII prime contractor manufacturer The Inland Division of General Motors.

"Inland Manufacturing" is simply a trade name for marketing purposes and the only thing they have in common with Inland of WWII is they are located in Dayton, OH. It ends there.

The carbines being made have cast receivers, a barrel by Green Mountain Rifle Barrels, a number of cast parts but the bolt, hammer and trigger are machined from forged steel. Most of the parts are obtained from the same sources used by Auto-Ordnance. Which may be a semantics game to hide they are actually being obtained through Auto-Ordnance. Same part numbers, same user's manual, same model numbers but preceded with INL instead of AOM.

I started a thread on MilSurps in an attempt to locate other owners for feedback on their Inland Manufacturing carbines in researching the company and their carbines for my website at M1CarbinesInc.com.

Rather than repeate everything here, if you are interested have a look at: You must be logged in to see this link.

Mine was returned to Inland Manufacturing two months ago. They have indicated they will be sending me a replacement.

Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2