M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 M1 from Maine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  09:37:03 AM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did an intro this AM in the newbert section. This is not my rifle. The old lady has staked a permanent and sometimes violent claim that I do not have the stones to challenge. She recently picked this up at a local poacher (seized weapons) auction for 525 bucks. Came with a 5 round hunting magazine. I hope to someday shoot it. :)

In no particular order. These are the only markings I can find on the outside. No crossed cannons anywhere on the stock. The hand guard is 4 rivet. As you can see some bobo head was using this as a hunting weapon and did some grinding on the front sight. The more I read the more I am thinking this thing was scabbed together from old parts. Notice the "pink" shading on the trigger assembly? WTF is up with that? The barrel is marked up near the front sight but I could not get a clear pic. I could make out "Inland" and "Div of General Motors" . The date mark looks to be 4-43.

Edited by - Mr. Don on 09/01/2017 9:38:51 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  09:46:45 AM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had this baby apart once but all we did was scrub it out. Since my wife is 1000 miles away at the moment I think I will take it apart again and look for internal marks. Where should I be looking for marks while I'm in there?
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  11:11:22 AM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missed this one. Sight marks.

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  2:06:51 PM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel like I'm talking to myself. Which is not that rare an occurrence. These are from the innards.

Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Don. Welcome to the forum from New Mexico! This forum can be pretty quiet sometimes. A few of us try to chime in as quickly as we can and hopefully you will get more than one opinion.

What I can tell from the pictures that you have posted so far is that your carbine has some parts that might have been changed during a post war arsenal rebuild. The "A" mark on the stock is kind of typical of an arsenal rebuild stamp, except it's on the wrong side.

Your trigger housing has a flip safety and "M" marked mag release, probably post war upgrades, given your carbine's earlier serial number. The reddish color of the trigger housing is not original and is typical of carbines loaned to Germany or Austria, post WWII. They would sometimes stamp the last 4 digits of the carbine's serial number on the trigger guard, stock, bolt and operating slide too.

The flip rear sight, however, looks to be original. So, if your carbine were rebuilt, it would have been replaced with an adjustable rear sight. Maybe it was later unreplaced? We might be able to tell with some more pictures.

The other markings on the stock are probably rack numbers given by the particular armory where this carbine lived at one time.

The funny stamps on the flat surface of the barrel are sometimes referred to as "Inland heiroglyphics". They are builder's marks known only to the Inland production group.

The "modified" front sight is common and may have been done by some old dogface that was used to shooting his old 1903A3 Springfield. Or maybe bubba did it.

Like you say, it's likely that this carbine was put together and maybe it spent some time in the hands of the German Police. Can you post pictures of the bolt, barrel band, a view of the rear sight from above and an overall profile of the whole rifle? We might be able to tell you more.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 10/11/2015 3:42:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  4:14:18 PM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple more. Having a hard time getting the whole rifle in with my crappy little camera. The sling thingy on the barrel band Was just added. The original was missing.

Edited by - Mr. Don on 09/01/2017 9:36:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  4:49:19 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the barrel band looks legit to me. The stock has dents from a later barrel band, so I think it was switched. I was hoping to see whether or not the receiver had some ugly big stake marks that were typical of adjustable rear sight installation during rebuild rather than the little tiny chisel marks that are normal for locating a flip sight. I don't see any but really need to see another angle, like 15 degrees, front and back, left and right. So far it looks like the upper half of your carbine is original.

I'm hoping Tuna chimes in. He's an expert on early Inlands and will be able to tell right away.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  5:07:44 PM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Da bolt

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  10:27:23 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rear sight is an older reproduction. The carbine has been through a full rebuild and the A is on the left side which would indicate Augusta Armory. The stock and hand guard were most likely changed then. Someone has of course filed down the ears on the front sight and the sight has been off the carbine when the band was changed. The band I think may be repo but not sure. Would need more photos of it to be sure. The bolt appears to be correct but will be marked on the lug with OI or AI. The slide should be marked inside with PI. But the trigger housing and the hammer are Inland.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  10:54:13 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for jumping in Tuna. I can see now the "A" is on the left side of the stock, my bad. I don't see any Bavarian markings on the bolt or top side of the receiver. If the carbine were rebuilt at Augusta wouldn't they re park the purple trigger housing, especially since it didn't have any markings on it?

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 10/12/2015 10:56:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the plum color happens when bluing is applied over a parkerized finish.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  4:35:03 PM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input guys. Amazing what you guys can tell from a couple of pictures. I have a lot to learn. Like I said we paid 525 for the rifle and could not be happier.
Tuna where would I find the "lug". This is all new to me.

Edited by - Mr. Don on 10/12/2015 5:28:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  09:57:19 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lugs are the projections to the side of the bolt at the front. They lock the bolt into the receiver when it is against the chamber of the barrel. They are what prevent the bolt from moving till the bullet has left the barrel. Then they unlock and the bolt can then move back.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  4:23:39 PM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tuna

The lugs are the projections to the side of the bolt at the front. They lock the bolt into the receiver when it is against the chamber of the barrel. They are what prevent the bolt from moving till the bullet has left the barrel. Then they unlock and the bolt can then move back.

So I need to take it apart to find the markings on the bolt? This weekend.

Just so I understand. The weapon is issued during WW2 and after the war they are all turned back in and rebuilt? Would the rack numbers be from WW2 or a later period? Or is there no way of knowing?

Also I'm wondering about the rear sight, you sounded pretty positive that it is a reproduction? Is this because of the markings or the fact that that sight would have been changed out during the rebuild?

thank you and when you get sick of my questions just tell me to buzz off. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  10:03:48 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don there is no problems with you asking questions. That is what we are here for to help others and our selves too. The markings will be on the outside of the lug on the end. If it's an Inland bolt it will be marked OI or AI. Yes post war by 1948 the military had started to update all of the carbines to the last type with the adjustable rear sight, flip safety and the barrel band with the bayonet lug on it. The rack markings are most likely from post war. Oh and unless you have a bolt tool you do not want to take the bolt apart. Not so much taking it apart as getting it back together. Saves a lot of aggravation and frustration.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  3:57:13 PM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the warning. No bolt tool here. I will not be taking it apart.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  8:17:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don you can take the bolt out of carbine with no problems. Just don't take the bolt itself apart.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  08:56:48 AM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. I will take it out and look for marks. One last question if you don't mind.

In all honesty it has been firmly established that this is not my weapon. Plus I was told to leave it alone unless I wanted a good thrashing.

BUT the wife is about a thousand miles away this weekend and I have ordered her a couple of new magazines and I have bought her a couple hundred rounds of ammo, so do you think I could take the rifle out for magazine testing purposes only and get away with cycling a few rounds at some target?

She has never kicked my butt before and she's only about 5'4" and I think I can take her.

So? Have some fun with the M1 or stay married and unbruised when she gets home? Damn I hate difficult decisions. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3249 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are a man who lives for danger in your life!!!! Unbrusied if you try it out? Not likely. More like riddled with holes...kind of like a Swiss cheese if she finds out. Well if you decide to tempt fate then use old magazines already marked up. Brand new magazines that become used before she uses them will lead to more holes in your already leaking boat. Do not show a box with some rounds missing or she will be suspicious which will lead to even more holes in your already doomed boat. You do have to remember that the carbine, like you is owned by HER so " Do you feel luck? Well do you?" How long have you been married? It can make a difference you know. Well then again maybe not.

Edited by - Tuna on 10/17/2015 11:30:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Don, maybe you should just get another one (carbine I mean). That way you don't have to share.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 10/17/2015 12:39:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Don
Greenhorn Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  2:41:00 PM  Show Profile Send Mr. Don a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came to my senses and decided NOT to try and get away with shooting the carbine. Thank you for talking me down. I might have made a fatal mistake.

I would look into buying another carbine (and I will in the future) but I just recently bought a GP100 and my gun budget is broken. I love wheel guns almost as much as the wife loves her carbine.

thank you

signed whipped and broke

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2