M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Field Gear
 Repo sling length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yleefox
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  10:36:40 PM  Show Profile Send yleefox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am not mistaken, the original carbine slings were around 46 inches in length. I have noticed that several repo slings are advertised as being 37 inches long. Am I missing something here? The reason I am asking is that I would like a sling for my Underwood of the correct length but it does not have to be an original as long as it is the correct length. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  1:25:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon! Welcome to the Carbine forum!

The original USGI carbine slings were supposedly from 45 to 49 inches in length. It is reported that some of the later mid-WWII slings used on USMC carbines were only 37 inches long as they were originally intended for the Reising SMG. I have no info on post war carbine slings. It seems to me that a 37 inch sling would not be as useful as the longer one.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

yleefox
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  4:06:19 PM  Show Profile Send yleefox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JackP,

First thanks for the reply. I agree with you that I think the shorter one would not be as useful as the longer one. If all I intended to do with a sling was install it for appearance sakes, then I suppose the shorter one would be fine, but I want to use it to help steady me when shooting.
Again, thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2