M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 CMP M1 Carbines
 I am thinking of having my carbine gone through.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SSG.War-Shot
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  10:24:29 PM  Show Profile Send SSG.War-Shot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of sending my newly purchased car into the CMP shop to be gone through for servicabity. I'm thinking its a composit gun with various parts made into a one?

It has a rounded bolt, machined rear sight, bayonet stud on barrel band but the barrel says it's a Inland / General Motors made in 11/43.
The serial # is only 6 digits (unless the last digit is so weakly engraved I can't read it?) I don't believe e this is the case, all the other #'s are deep and easily read

If it were that old it should t have all the later upgrades I would think unless doing such a rebuild wouldn't be a problem? Would the CMP tell me what I have. If I have them put on a NEW barrel would that ruin the rifles value and make it just a nice shooting rifle??
If the rifle is fairly worn I plan on changing the barrel. The wood looks real good. No cracks but it is very dry. ( what should I wipe her down with?? Linenseed oil?)

Any help will be appreciated, I plan on sending it in next week for them to go to town on it?
Thanks!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

SSG.War-Shot
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  11:02:51 PM  Show Profile Send SSG.War-Shot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a bit more info on my M-1.. The last serial # was hard to see there are 7 digits they are : 4810xxx which according to my ha dy book here makes it a "Quality Hardware & Machine" carbine.

Can't seem to find mfg. date in my book though. Seems like they stop serial numbers in 1944?
The serial number blocks I have show the last block of numbers was 470755 - 47/5700 April to June 1944. Everything after is blank..
Does this help any??
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  10:19:15 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your carbine has gone through a rebuild like the vast majority of them have. That was when the updated parts were added to it. If the serial number you listed is correct it would be for a Quality Hardware carbine. It would have been made about March 1944. Q.H. did use Inland barrels except they did not receive any in November 1943 so there is a good chance the barrel is a replacement. If your stock appears to be dark from dirt and oil then use a furniture stripper on it removing the old build up with no damage to the wood. Raw linseed oil is what was used on the stock originally. Don't use anything that contains a sealer in it on the stock. Once cleaned take your time rubbing in a little oil at a time till the stock stops drinking it in. If you can take your carbine apart then you can clean it yourself without any problems. The bolt is the only thing one needs to have a tool for but with normal maintenance you would not need it. Just make sure the bolt is clean and lightly oiled. A hint of grease on anything that slides and a drop of oil on pins or springs.
Go to Top of Page

SSG.War-Shot
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2015 :  9:25:46 PM  Show Profile Send SSG.War-Shot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,
Thought I would catch up everyone on what went on at the CMP. They received it and I had a 2 month waiting period before I could get it back, but it got a clean bill of health! The only thing that was discovered was the barrel had some light pitting at the muzzle & some just after the chamber. The technology. talked to me and we discussed it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the barrel and ir perfectly safe to shoot. If I was going to compete with it he recommended a new barrel..
So they put a Creighton barrel on it. (I just know I spelled that wrong!) I have the original barrel too in case I need or want to return it to original condition.
I took it fitness range and stupid me forgot my magazines at home.... so I was loading single rounds & was grouping some nice tight groups at 25 yards offhand loading single rounds! Can't wait to get back there and put it through its paces with mags.ha ha
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2015 :  08:30:09 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi; Glad to hear that you got it the way you want it. ENJOY!!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2