M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 bedding of the stock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joey2chins
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  7:41:38 PM  Show Profile Send joey2chins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi from Indiana again! Second post here. I mentioned in the new member forum that I had acquired an Alpine M1 and wished to bring it back to original specs. I have found an original stock and butt plate {less hand guard} along with all the other items that I needed.
I was wondering if bedding of the stock would be required to improve accuracy. Or should I just put it together and see how it shoots? Or would bedding even required at all?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Joe

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  8:13:31 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe, it's not really practical to bed a carbine stock like you would a hunting rifle. About all you can do is ensure the recoil plate is properly installed, you have a tight fit between the receiver and recoil plate and that you have a little "preload" of the barrel in the barrel band area. This link to the CMP web site describes what I mean about preload (see page 3 & 4).

You must be logged in to see this link.

If you wish, you can bed the recoil plate to the stock. This may help a little as long as the other factors are considered. Here are pictures of how I bedded the recoil plate on my "shooter" stock.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3322 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2015 :  08:57:05 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two things are the recoil plate as Jack mentioned and a type 3 barrel band with the bayonet lug. Those are the only things that will work on a carbine. It was developed to be dependable and to be minute of bad guy out to three hundred yards. It was never a target system to start with just a USGI goof proof as possible rifle.
Go to Top of Page

joey2chins
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2015 :  6:09:05 PM  Show Profile Send joey2chins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys! I am looking forward to the rebuild. Mid-September will be a likely starting point. (if hunting does not get in the way...) I am sure that I will have lots more questions as I get started. So Thanks in advance!
Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2