M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Bavarian Carbines
 Help Identify - German - Bavarian - Austrian?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rick2106
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  08:41:26 AM  Show Profile Send rick2106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Inland - serial #54187 - GM barrel dated 10-42 - last 4 numbers of the the serial "4187" is stamped on the stock, upper handguard, bolt and possibly other hidden places? but all known numbers have matched so far. What I've seen most parts are inland. Top of the receiver near the bolt does not look anything Bavarian was stamped there (ground off or altered) It would be helpful if importer was known but no import mark on the barrel or any other place I can find. Attached hang tag has "Rattenschlager Insp" the way it's worn on the swivel it's been on there a long time. I'm pretty sure it's been in Austria at one time but without any Bavarian stamp it's safe to say it does have Bavarian origin? Any thoughts on the where and why on the travels on this one? Value? Acquired from a family members estate 20 years or more ago.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum! If you haven't run across it already, here's a link to a great web site on Bavarian carbines. The site creator, Jim Mock, may be able to provide answers to your questions.

You must be logged in to see this link.

BTW, great pictures.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

rick2106
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  10:42:29 AM  Show Profile Send rick2106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jack, Lots of great info! I'm sure Mr Mock gets too many people like me picking his brain. I didn't know if it was appropriate to contact him directly.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  10:00:25 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your trigger housing isn't Inland and that is not unexpected with Bavarian carbines. But it would be in excellent condition as they were well taken care of. It looks like it's been reblued in your photos. Quite a few of these carbines were imported by C.I.A. awhile ago. Some were marked on the left side of the receiver with some marked under the wood and some on the barrel. Of course if it was imported pre 1968 then there very well may not be a stamp on it. It is a nice looking carbine for sure.
Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  05:00:29 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trigger housing markings were made by the Austrians. LGKNÖ= Landesgendarmeriekommando Niederösterreich (Lower Austria). 2249 is the inventory number.
Go to Top of Page

rick2106
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  05:20:07 AM  Show Profile Send rick2106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tuna and rhineriver1, Maybe later this evening I will take out of the wood for a closer inspection. I've seen a few of the early C.I.A imports and its not a pretty thing. Looks like a 4 year old with a electric pencil engraver were doing them.
Go to Top of Page

rick2106
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  07:08:09 AM  Show Profile Send rick2106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing under the wood to help identify:(
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  10:19:13 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could have been brought in before 1968 when it became mandatory to be marked as to who imported into the country. This was supposed to make it easier to locate records if a firearm was used in a crime.
Go to Top of Page

rick2106
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  04:56:14 AM  Show Profile Send rick2106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple more from this estate that is very possible a few came from north of the border. I'm not sure if any M1 was ever imported into our northern neighbors or what their laws are marking a import?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2015 :  10:17:51 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes they have had carbines imported into Canada. The last batch was about 10000 Howa made carbines from Thailand. These are excellent carbines and 4000 were then imported into the US before Billy(with his pants down)Clinton stopped anymore from coming in. Canada did have a law on the books that all rifles had to have a 20 inch barrel. So many carbines had their barrels changed to new ones at 20 inches long. I think but I'm not sure that law has been repealed but you will find carbines with 20 inch barrels in Canada.
Go to Top of Page

rick2106
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  8:17:10 PM  Show Profile Send rick2106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tuna, I would say this one didn't come from that direction.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2