M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Manuals & Diagrams
 Underwood Fails to fire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigt1952
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  4:29:54 PM  Show Profile Send bigt1952 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to figure out why the firearm fires the first round and ejects (after putting in a new ejector)chambers the next round not all the way and jams up. Have to drive the op rod back to open chamber. Any help? THANKS!

Anthony Carroccio

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp

USA
950 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  4:59:25 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum!

Are there any unusual marks on the round that fails to chamber? Also, can you feel any binding or sticking as you slowly close the bolt on an empty chamber? Does the bolt rotate into battery fully on it's own? Does the extractor move freely to allow the round to seat fully against the bolt face?

Usually, failure to feed problems are caused by a worn or weak operating slide spring. This can be checked by simply measuring the free length of this spring. It should be 10 1/4 inches, no longer, no shorter.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

bigt1952
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  5:02:21 PM  Show Profile Send bigt1952 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks JackP! I have ordered a new wolf set of springs. The bolt flows freely on an empty chamber. Also upon loading the first round it chambers OK.I think you are correct about the spring. I will measure the existing one. Thanks Again.

Anthony Carroccio
Go to Top of Page

bigt1952
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  5:06:46 PM  Show Profile Send bigt1952 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jack, Just measured the spring and it it a heavy 16th over 10 1/4.

Anthony Carroccio
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
950 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  6:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting to see if the Wolff recoil spring helps. In the carbine world, Wolff springs don't have as good a reputation as NOS USGI springs. I would recommend changing only one thing at a time until the problem is solved. Let us know how it works out.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  7:52:28 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of ammo are you using?
SM
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  06:25:33 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do not throw away your GI spring as you will need it. As said; if the spring is 10 1/4 " long it is correct.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

rg1911

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  12:41:54 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the rounds are reloads, I would check the case length. I occasionally have a round that won't chamber correctly if it's been too long between case trimming.

If they're good factory rounds, then you probably are back to springs.

Questions: Does this happen with all your magazines?

When a round failed to chamber completely, did you try it again after placing it back in the magazine?

Does it happen only with full magazines? That is, if you load a 15-round mag with perhaps only 5-7 cartridges, does it still happen?

Good luck,
Richard

Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
707 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  2:36:45 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you using steel case ammo?
Go to Top of Page

bigt1952
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  4:24:29 PM  Show Profile Send bigt1952 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK I received the new wolf spring, it is longer than the one that was in the rifle. Noe the bolt does not rotate and lock into place and the slide jams. Can't push it forward and have to slam it open. I am using two different types of ammo. The first was wolf steel case that came with the gun. Now I am using brass Lellier & Bellot. Before I changed the spring the first round would chamber and fire OK but the gun jammed with the empty round in the chamber. It looks like when the magazine is loaded and put in it raises up the bolt. I also have a new magazine and tried both with same results. Perplexed in VT.

Anthony Carroccio
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
950 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  7:45:24 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like the new spring just jams the slide more. I still think there might be something in the chamber. Another member is having a similar problem and the common denominator is the S & B ammo. I have nothing to say about the steel case bullets. Check out the last few posts on this thread and see if it sounds familiar.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  09:36:41 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing you have to do is a complete cleaning of the whole carbine paying special attention to the gas system. You could have a carbon build up in the chamber. This is because of your using the steel cased Russian ammo. It is junk ammo that is very dirty and causes problems over time with using it. If the cases are being left in the chamber when fired then there is an excellent chance that the extractor is chipped or broken. Take out the bolt and clean the lip of the extractor and check it for damage. Then also measure the recoil spring to be sure it's about 10 1/4 inches long. If the new one is longer then it is a problem that has to be replaced. Try to locate a USGI spring. There are dealers who sell them and not the after market ones.2 A recoil spring should not be a cause of the slide rising up in it's track if it's installed properly.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  4:02:11 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big t
It is perfectly normal for the bolt to rise up a little when you insert the magazine.
I agree with Jack that there is something in the chamber like a shaving of brass at the chamber lip. The casing is tapered and can act like a wedge, making it very difficult to remove after it jams. So, find out why it binds up when the bullet goes in and that should take care of why it does not come out.
Good luck
SM
Go to Top of Page

bigt1952
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  6:56:31 PM  Show Profile Send bigt1952 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A round goes in the chamber easy when put in by finger. It chambers all the way. I cleaned and polished the ramp and chamber. It seems like the bolt won't grab the round by the ejector. Could the ejector spring be too strong? I have cleaned the ejector spring hole and bolt when I put in the new ejector and spring. Should I cut the wolf spring down to the 10&1/4" and try that? I will try to get some ball ammo next as maybe it is the ammo? I am not giving up yet. THANK YOU to everyone for all the help! Still frustrated in VT.

Anthony Carroccio
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  7:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TONY
Don't cut any springs.
I would take the action out of the stock and remove the operating slide. Try to chamber an empty casing after placing the rim under the lip of the extractor and push it down against the ejector. See if it can be chambered and the bolt can be rotated into battery. The extractor is the part that pulls the casing rearward and then the ejector and spring flick the casing up and out of the action. The extractor moves up and down and the ejector moves in and out.
SM
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  9:00:12 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't blame you for being "frustrated in Vermont". If Bernie was from my state I'd be frustrated too.

That aside, stick with it and you'll come up with a solution to your feeding/ejection problems.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
950 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  9:32:20 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with SM. Don't cut any springs. Maybe you should go back to the original spring. Can you post a close up picture of the bolt face? Anyway, do what SM suggests and let us know what happens.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

bigt1952
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  06:53:52 AM  Show Profile Send bigt1952 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had to hold off on repair for a while. Still have to make a living. Will advise after next round a the bench.
Go to Top of Page

bigt1952
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  6:34:12 PM  Show Profile Send bigt1952 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK Finally got back to the bench. I changed the spring on the extractor,it seemed to strong, maybe put the wrong one in. I put the original slide spring back in. I loaded a mag with 4 rounds of Remington ammo. It fired all four rounds but did not eject the last round. Cleared the chamber and reloaded the mag. It would not close the bolt again and it jammed. It will not close the bolt into full battery.Really frustrated Now!
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  07:34:30 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are you located? There maybe a member close to you that can help.

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
950 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  10:17:21 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might help if you could post some pictures. Without seeing it we are all out of ideas. We need to see the bolt face and the the breech. Also, a closeup of a fired round would be helpful.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  10:45:54 AM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if you have a friend with a known good bolt to try out.
SM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  11:26:33 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you replace the ejector and the spring? Did you also make sure the extractor plunger is properly seated against the extractor? Is the castle nut holding the gas piston in place tight?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2