M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 How far should I go with a restoration?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brentsanders
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  10:44:52 AM  Show Profile Send brentsanders a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd pick the brains of you experts about what I should do with my first M1.
Here's what I have...
Nice un-sanded, oval,low wood walnut stock, ordnance wheel (Inland?), circled proof mark, and a BA/HAB cartouche.
Win reciever #1,057,XXX
Late Win butt plate
Type I NPM trigger housing
Type II Inland hammer
Type IV Rockola slide
Win recoil plate
Rock Island front sight
Type III sight well staked on.
Type II Inland bolt
Winchester barrel with the dreaded "BLUE SKY" prominently stamped near the muzzle.
So from a collectors standpoint, I have a typical mix-master with an ugly barrel. How far do I reasonably go with this gun? I'm thinking after replacing the barrel, I'll have a pretty nice arsenal rebuild, or do I do a total restoration around an early Winchester receiver?
Your opinions gentlemen, would be appreciated.

Sandy

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

rg1911

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandy,

Welcome to the forum and your first M1 Carbine.

I did a Winchester restoration to make it "correct." I only needed 5 parts that I thought would be reasonably priced and quick to find. I was wrong on both counts. It took 3 years to find the Type II barrel band, and it cost me more than $200. The carbine now is correct, but I pretty much doubled the original cost.

My *opinion* is to leave it as it is. I haven't seen any Winchester barrels listed anywhere in a loooong time. You might be able to find another maker if you just want to get rid of the BLUE SKY stamp. Note that the USGI barrels I have seen for sale are in the $250+ range. You can buy non-USGI barrels from Criterion and Auto Ordnance.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  8:37:35 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The big thing is the rear sight. For those that want to take an early carbine and fully restore it the rear sight if adjustable in most cases is staked in place. Very hard to make the staking disappear to make it look right. Best to just use it as is. Import marked carbines like the Blue Sky have been gaining in value. There just are no more coming back into the country so the prices are going up. One can thank the Hilda beast when she was Sec. of State and our Pres for stopping the last big importation of carbines and M1 Garand's from Korea. Those nasty carbines can take a 15 round or more magazine and they have those terrible assault bayonet lugs on them too. We the people of the United States of America just cannot be trusted with them.
Go to Top of Page

brentsanders
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile Send brentsanders a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The staked sight thing seems to be the biggest hurdle to restoration.
I have two pretty prominent stake marks on my gun, and I'm afraid that even TIG welding the stake marks over would put too much heat into a 70 year old receiver to make me comfortable, and the discoloration around the weld would be another issue. I'm not sure that I could pull it off.
I'm just leaning toward just waiting to find a decent barrel that has the same patina and replacing the BLUE SKY.
I picked up a very clean reparked IBM (arsenal rework?)a couple a months ago for $100, so deals are still out there, and I might just screw that on, or wait for a Winchester to pop up.
Thanks for your time, wisdom, and opinions.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  10:12:15 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cali that's a piece of junk. So I shall be glad to help you out and take it off your hands for what you paid. And before JimB starts I will even pay for the shipping. Oh such a deal for you.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3125 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  3:50:04 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's ok tuna. I'm temporarily sans funds....

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

ammc2
Advanced Member

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  08:04:50 AM  Show Profile Send ammc2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandy,
Welcome to the Forum.
Your question is always good because it is a reminder to all of us. I started my Winchester carbine project three years ago. Had to find almost every part except the receiver, still have not found the correct stock set. The metal is now finished. bought duplicates of parts to use the best one, found some good deals on parts and paid out the nose on others. So far I am into it for $2900, including the original carbine cost. Probably will not see that in my lifetime. Only you can answer your question as you can see by my experience. I guess for me was the challenge to find the correct parts, get everything together then finish with a bang. To me it as worth it because of the carbine history, we are the keepers of our country's history, although many are trying to destroy our country from within. Either way you chose, good luck and enjoy. art
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2