M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Magazines
 After market mags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bandit7
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  5:43:23 PM  Show Profile Send Bandit7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy I should have listened to the old timers on the forums. Just got a bunch of goodies for my new Auto ordnance. I purchased two Korean made mags and two promag mags since the one that came with my gun had a steady failure to feed on the range. Korean mags work great, but the Promag ones are only good for paper weights. I guess I will hit the next gun show to see if I can pick up some old USGI ones.

Bandit7

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

gatorwade
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2015 :  07:19:02 AM  Show Profile Send gatorwade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some ProMag CA compliant 10 rounders. They don't work either.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2015 :  08:22:59 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Korean magazines are as good as the USGI ones. It's sad that any commercial magazines made here are junk.
Go to Top of Page

rg1911

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2015 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another plug for the 15- and 30-round Korean mags. They work. And they're usually only around $12.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

JHG57
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile Send JHG57 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only drawback i see to the korean is the Bolt open feature. I would rather have easy mag removal than have to fiddle to get it out or lock the bolt first. It just adds extra steps in my opinion.

James
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  09:44:47 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hold open was designed as a cheap way the user of a 30 round magazine could tell it was empty. The way to use it was you would just grab the magazine with one hand and push the magazine release with the other and just rip the magazine out allowing the bolt to go forward. The magazine was considered to be expendable. But today they are worth big $$$$. I really think a hold open system could have been developed for the carbine from the start but that would have added time and cost to the production although it would have been easier and quicker to load a carbine with it.

I have found that AIM is pretty accurate in their descriptions of what they sell. If it's not correct they will take it back. I had a Tokarev that was bad and other then asking what it did they said just send it back and we will replace it or refund your money. They replaced it with a much better one so they took the time to look at them to get one that was a step up.
Go to Top of Page

Edknn
Greenhorn Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  10:22:46 PM  Show Profile Send Edknn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a chance and ordered 4 mags from keepshooting.com. The worked great. I have one of the Korean ones coming next week to try. The keepshooting mags don't have the bolt hold open.
Go to Top of Page

Filroy77
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile Send Filroy77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this a pretty old thread but I was wondering if anyone has tried these mags before? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

PW Arms M1 .30 carbine 30 rnd mag.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No idea about PW but I would not be surprised if they were made in Korea. Beware of any being made in Taiwan as they have been reported as being problematic at best. AIM surplus has new in the wrap Korean made 30 round magazines for $12.95 too and they still have 15 round magazines for less.
Go to Top of Page

Kilibreaux

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  12:10:55 AM  Show Profile Send Kilibreaux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two KCI mags from Jestic Arms that have been blocked from 15 to 10 rounds with welded floor plates and they work perfectly in my Inland New Manufacture ILM-140!

The factory 10 rounder does not work...well, barely.

The 10/30 blocked mags I got from Fulton Armory feed perfectly from the left side and not at all from the right...
Go to Top of Page

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

39 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a spring kit from Numrich to re-fit a carbine bolt and, of course, it came with a new mag spring. It was a simply matter to remove the bottom plate then spring and follower before fitting the new spring on the one mag that had a soft spring... If I lived in California (not likely ever...) I'd strongly consider adding a small block of wood, the height of five rounds to limit any carbine mag to only a ten round capacity... Nothing I've read anywhere says they have to come from the factory as ten rounders (if I'm wrong hope someone will correct me). As a retired cop -in my years on the street I'd have simply checked any suspected high cap mag to see how many rounds it actually contained and if only ten (and that's the law's requirement) it would be just fine.... Like I've already said someone familiar with California law should chime in here since I'm as far from California as I can get....
Go to Top of Page

Kilibreaux

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  04:53:07 AM  Show Profile Send Kilibreaux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The KEY to making ANY magazine work in your M-1 Carbine is to grab your pliers and bend the magazine lips so they are in total contact with the cartridge. IF you achieve this, your round will feed and function 100%.
The round feeding off the right side of the mag is the biggest issue as it can be deflected "left" in a radical fashion. But IF the lips of the mag are smooth and control all rounds whether from left side feed or right side feed, the gun will feed!

I have a variety of magazines from different sources that displayed feed problems until I took the time to figure out the problem. The feed lips must maintain cartridge contact throughout the feeding cycle.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  08:45:50 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody that has muddled thru the regulations, get me out of a grey area please. I thought that a high-cap mag could not be blocked and still be legal. I was under the impression that the mag had to be 10-rounds (or whatever) and not "convertible" from one capacity or another by way of a removable blocking device?

I am also of the understanding that a modified magazine MUST remain functional in the parent weapon it came from. This is not Carbine specific, but applies to many long guns that will accept pistol magazines, some of which require the pistol mag to be modified to an extent that it will no longer fit the donor pistol?
Go to Top of Page

IDwanderer
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  10:24:18 AM  Show Profile Send IDwanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone used the TRIPLE K magazines? How do they work?
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  2:19:50 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say anything about KKK magazines for the M1 carbine, but I can say that other magazines I've tried from them have only resembled a magazine. Pure junk. Once bitten...twice shy!
Go to Top of Page

IDwanderer
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile Send IDwanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that americanboy ... I'll heed your and not make that mistake. Am looking for a 5 rounder and they're pretty hard to find. But better to keep looking than waste the money. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  6:31:41 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can tell you about Triple K mags is that I got a couple for my High Standard Olympic which is notoriously finicky and those worked fine. So from what limited experience I have with their mags, I would say that they are well made.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2