M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Quality Hardware
 Stock Markings?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sbcarbine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  2:16:46 PM  Show Profile Send sbcarbine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Quality HMC M1 serial number 191XXXX made in 43 with an undated Rockola Barrel and a mix of other rebuild parts.

I have been poking around for a stock to buy - either a new CMP stock to use for shooting CMP matches, or find a product correct USGI stock.

I have never found any markings on my stock. I decided to recheck and pulled the sling and oiler out and want to know if I'm crazy, or I do see something. Would there be a way to clean this are of the stock inside the sling well to be able to maybe see what's there better?

I had assumed this was just an old stock put on during a rebuild somewhere along the line.

Here are a few pictures:

[/URL]

Here's a version where I played with the contrast in my photo program to try to see if that showed anything clearer.

[/URL]

Another angle:
[/URL]

[/URL]

Would there even be any markings in this area?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Upon blowing the pictures up some, there definitely seems to be a flaming bomb towards the bottom. I also think I see either RSG or RMC letters in the middle of the slingwell. However, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's either due to the nature of the sanding, so DON'T hold it against me if I'm wrong! One for sure way to tell a Robert Irwin RSG stock is to show the front of the stock at the nose. The angle of the drop from the top to the bottom is different from most if not all stocks.
Go to Top of Page

sbcarbine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  2:44:20 PM  Show Profile Send sbcarbine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always Learning,

I'm not sure what I see, but I definitely see what isn't "natural".

Here's a photo of the front nose of the stock:

[/URL]

I certainly haven't sanded anything on the stock. Where do you see a flaming bomb? Maybe it's a magical stock that allows you to "almost" see what you want! haha

Thanks for your observations!

Edited by - sbcarbine on 12/30/2014 2:46:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  3:17:20 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's amazing the power of suggestion. I sorta see the "R" and the "G" but I'm looking for it. I don't see the flaming bomb at all. If you asked without stating your suspicions, I would have said it was unmarked with a ding in the slingwell. Also, I would not expect to see any marks at all on the surface you are showing. The makers mark is usually on the wider surface to the left of the area you show in your pictures. BTW, the ding is the bottom of the buttplate screw hole. I have a QHMC with a Type I stock. Other than the very faded "RMC", there are no other marks. See below:

Post some pictures of the rest of the slingwell. In the meantime, I would keep looking for another.

It will be interesting to see comments from others.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  3:25:37 PM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by sbcarbine

Always Learning,

I'm not sure what I see, but I definitely see what isn't "natural".

Here's a photo of the front nose of the stock:

[/URL]

I certainly haven't sanded anything on the stock. Where do you see a flaming bomb? Maybe it's a magical stock that allows you to "almost" see what you want! haha

Thanks for your observations!
Someone did sand the slingwell at least. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I have been looking at too many stocks here lately I think. As suggested, post some pictures of the stock showing the different features. Maybe something will click with someone else. I am certainly open to other opinions. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  3:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I saw the bomb at the bottom, but it could be just a ding as suggested. Post some additional pictures of the stock from different angles. Maybe the new pictures will reveal the maker of the stock. Lol, I think I've been looking at too many stocks lately. I should take a break!

Edited by - always learning on 12/30/2014 3:30:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

sbcarbine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  3:36:49 PM  Show Profile Send sbcarbine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jackp,

Haha! I know! I wouldn't expect anything there either. I see an M, I can also make out a ROC...

There are no other markings in any usual places. I just happened to take the sling off and started looking at this area with a magnifying glass and thought I'd pass it on. My receiver fits quite loosely in this and I wanted to look for another stock for a better fit anyway.

Here you go. Nothing!

[/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  10:32:54 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All your seeing is a ding in the wood. Stocks were never marked there but were on the other side. Can you show a picture of the whole stock right side?
Go to Top of Page

sbcarbine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  12:43:44 AM  Show Profile Send sbcarbine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna,

Here are some pictures of the whole stock. I don't think it's anything, but a later rebuild stock. I can't find any markings anywhere.

[/URL]

I'll get some more pictures later.

Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  07:00:53 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
actually I bet that is the wood breaking out from where the butt plate screw hole is drilled. Take off the butt plate, run a piece of metal smaller then the hole into it and I bet it comes to that "mark" in the slingwell. Many of the stocks have the hole drilled all the way through, yours looks like it stopped just short of breaking all the wood out.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2015 :  08:57:02 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup typical post war pot belly replacement stock. Look on the left top of the stock beside the barrel channel for a SA stamp.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2