M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Field Gear
 M-1 Carbine Sling ID
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gunbb
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  5:36:27 PM  Show Profile Send gunbb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a collection of carbines and slings. I know that the "C" ends are the WW2 slings and the "D" ends are Korea and VN. I have different named snaps that some say "Lift The Dot", others,:Klikit Pull" and others just a "." . One has the "KLIKIT PULL ,is tan and has unpainted, bright brass fittings. Is there some reference on the different makers for these? Thanks, BB

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  01:24:44 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
look at the web under the snap. Schlegel manufacturing company marked some of the slings with SM Co. and sometimes the year of manufacture. A lot of slings were unmarked. Klikit Pull and Star Pull snaps were made by Rau Fastener Co. in Providence Rhode Island. Fastener with just a "dot" were made by United Carr Fastener. Some pics of your Slings would be helpfull.
Go to Top of Page

gunbb
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  08:39:47 AM  Show Profile Send gunbb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am used to using the "Browse" and goimg to my pictures. I don't see that here and so don't know how to post pictures. Thanks for the info and if you can tell me how to post pictures , I will. BB
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
950 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  09:45:08 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to how to post from your computer (in this case Picasa3).

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

gunbb
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile Send gunbb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok here is my try at this. I find it terribly involved as compared with otheYou must be logged in to see this link. sites. BB
Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  05:54:31 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Identification of Carbine Slings ist hard work:-) I'm not sure if the webbing is correct. The "male" portion of the fastener is not USGI, or was repaired, or replaced. The "female" portion looks okay for Rau fastener. Please look if the back side of the fastener is marked with the company name. The buckle looks okay. Are the C tips and buckle parkerized? At first glance I would say it's repro. But I am not sure. On milsurp forum you will find some slings to compare with yours. You must be logged in to see this link. Good luck:-)

Edited by - rhineriver1 on 11/21/2014 03:09:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  03:09:10 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please note the dimensions of a Carbine sling: According Craig Riesch (M1 Carbines, wartime production 6th edition): The carbine sling measured 1 inch wide and varied from 45 inches to 49 inches long when the lift-the-dot end was closed. The loop for the sling swivel was 1 inch long when snapped. The sling buckles were stamped steel in a wide figure "8" shape and measured 1.3 inches long by 1 inch wide. Buckles were Parkerized or blued steel. Some were manufacturer coded, but very few.

Edited by - rhineriver1 on 11/21/2014 03:11:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2