M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Saginaw SG
 Saginaw Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fenton22
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  5:11:03 PM  Show Profile Send fenton22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Saginaw S.G. (3403XXX) has a Rock-Ola trigger housing and a Irwin Pedersen stock (IR-IP/flaming bomb, I-cut, faint S'G' cartouche). The carbine is an import possibly from Israel (serial # stamped in stock). My question is whether the trigger housing and stock might be original to the carbine?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Jeff

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  8:29:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trigger house is not listed as being sent to S.G. by Rock-Ola. The stock would also be a no as the Robert Irwin stocks used by S.G. were marked RSG in the sling well.
Go to Top of Page

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  06:19:36 AM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna ,
RSG stamped stock was made by ROCKOLA for S.G. . Please correct me if I'm wrong
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3142 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  1:12:13 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna is correct......Robert Irwin, not Rock-Ola.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  3:56:20 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok , I'm corrected , lol , but here is where I got the info from
You must be logged in to see this link.
You guys probably have been on this site before , sorry about relaying bad info. Please check it out so you don't think I'm nuts. Lol
Go to Top of Page

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  5:55:56 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok guys I'm home now and have WAR BABY vol 1 out . Look on page 437 titled "Saginaw's wartime subcontractors". Near the bottom of the page it lists stock Robert W Irwin co , grand rapids, mich. Marking "?". Below that it lists stock "ROCKOLA mfg. Co. Chicago, ill. Marking , "RSG". I know you guys know what you are talking about and you have helped me out so much since I have become addicted to these little guns , but please explain what I'm reading , I thought War baby was like the carbine bible , if you will . Hope to hear more .

Ronnie
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  10:38:34 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the carbine reference books have errors in then and war baby is no different. Larry tries to correct errors when they are found and lists them in the errata sheet in the front of the book.
RSG was the stamping in the sling well used by Robert Irwin for both of the Saginaw Gear plants. Now if the sling well also had numbers in it then it would have been for S.G. and no numbers then most likely for S'G'. Rock-Ola would have been RMC in the sling well.
Go to Top of Page

fenton22
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  11:43:27 PM  Show Profile Send fenton22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
RSG was the stamping in the sling well used by Robert Irwin for both of the Saginaw Gear plants. Now if the sling well also had numbers in it then it would have been for S.G. and no numbers then most likely for S'G'.

So in the case of a stock made by Robert Irwin originally for Irwin Pedersen (IR-IP stamped in sling well), but used on a Saginaw S'G' the RSG stamp was not added to the sling well?
Go to Top of Page

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  09:27:31 AM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the explanation in helping me understand what the real deal is , thanks again
Ronnie
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  3:29:45 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fenton22

quote:
RSG was the stamping in the sling well used by Robert Irwin for both of the Saginaw Gear plants. Now if the sling well also had numbers in it then it would have been for S.G. and no numbers then most likely for S'G'.

So in the case of a stock made by Robert Irwin originally for Irwin Pedersen (IR-IP stamped in sling well), but used on a Saginaw S'G' the RSG stamp was not added to the sling well?

That is correct. S'G' used all of the original IR-IP or IP-IR stocks that were on hand before Robert Irwin stocks marked RSG were used. The IP marked stocks were not over stamped with RSG.
Go to Top of Page

fenton22
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  8:02:21 PM  Show Profile Send fenton22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2