M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 I.B.M.
 New Purchase IBM Presentation M1 Plant #2 1944
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lkgmadmax
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  3:40:22 PM  Show Profile Send lkgmadmax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys:

I recently retired from IBM after 32 years. I purchased my first M1 Inland about a year ago. I have always loved the M1 Carbine and have always wanted an IBM model.

Today I have purchased an IBM presentation model, the last one to come off of line #2 at IBM Poughkeepsie NY in 1944. The piece included a signed letter from the Nephew of the receiver of the gun, which was originally presented to R.L. Surface.

I also plan to contact some folks at NY in an effort to get a letter on IBM letterhead documenting this gun; I sure hope they still have the records, especially after learning about “computer crashes from the IRS” :D

Pictures here:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!
David

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  12:08:21 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your carbine was made about February 1944. It was not the last carbine off the line as carbines with higher serial numbers were made. It seems that there were six presentation carbines made at the same time with one being serial number 3902XXX which went to someone at plant #4. But it is what it is and it's one of six made. But you do have a nice one for sure.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a mighty fine carbine even if was only one of the last ones made. Probably not to be used as a shooter though. I guess you could insure it for a generous price and hang it on the wall in your office.
SM

Edited by - swampmolly on 07/27/2014 11:33:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

WarBaby
Administrator

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  2:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit WarBaby's Homepage Send WarBaby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, thanks for posting that!

WarBaby
Go to Top of Page

hunterman1
Advanced Member

195 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  2:56:13 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful carbine!
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  6:51:59 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us know whaat IBM says.....
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
309 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  12:18:56 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna and Swampmolly — you guys are more knowledgeable than I am, but....

The IBM Corp. and serial number on the receiver look kind of funny to me.

The digits of the serial number don't appear to be aligned, and the IBM seems to be stamped more deeply than Corp.

Was IBM sloppy in how they stamped their carbines? (Especially on a presentation model?)

Or am I just seeing things?

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  3:56:47 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BEYU
I think the way the light shines on IBM CORP may explain what you are seeing, but you are right the serial # looks pretty uneven. Maybe someone with an IBM carbine could comment on the serial #. (I still like it.)
SM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  9:30:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you see with the serial number stamping is not unusual for IBM. I have also seen the heavy stamped IBM before too.
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
309 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  10:41:54 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, not looki'n a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

I was just curious....

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IBM used a frame to hold the individual number dies for serial numbering. The dies often got misaligned. You can find many IBM receivers that have the numbers too high or low by almost half their height. It is very common on their receivers.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2