M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Quality Hardware
 And Then There Were Five
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  12:26:13 AM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Traded $400 rifle for a Quality HMC, to add to my NPM, Rock-Ola, Inland and IBM. All are mixed to some degree, but at least have matching barrels to the receivers and some other parts. The QHMC is #1583234 with an undated Rock-Ola barrel, RMC handguard, DA-Q slide,JM-Q barrel band and EM-Q bayonet lug. Recoil plate is marked RO-Q Stock is an SA, as is hammer. Trigger housing and round bolt are marked .U. Rear sight is H in a shield and the front is marked SI. The safty has an M or W in what looks like a horse shoe. It hasn't done much since it's last rebuild, whenever that was, because the parking has very little wear and the hammer shows no real wear. Stock has a ton of grime and some bruises. The bruises won't go away, but a good cleaning and BLO will, no doubt, make it look a little better. Besides, I can imagine the scars were acquired in some battle in which the single carbine saved the day. Any comments would be appriciated.

Edited by - tortuga on 07/22/2014 9:12:05 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  12:35:46 AM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and, I got two mags. One is marked R-C. The other has a lined out SQ and under that SP-S'G'. Also got 50 rounds of new ammo. All in all, I'm pleased. Now, head for the range.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  09:21:44 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your carbine dates to about July 1943 so an undated Rock-Ola barrel would be correct. The rest is typical rebuild but for the price you paid you cannot go wrong for sure. Good pickup.
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  12:18:10 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought so too, Tuna. Can you tell me who the M or W in the horseshoe mark is? How about the H in a single point sheild? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  3:59:13 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H in a shield is Hemphill Co. I'm pretty sure the safety is a late war/post war replacement. I don't have my notes with me so I cannot tell you if I have it listed in them.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  8:14:05 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the M in a C is for McCullagh

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2