M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Bavarian Carbines
 "New" Bavarian/IBM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  12:38:49 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked up a Bavarian Rural Police IBM carbine major mixmaster.
Serial #: 3896867
Barrel: 11/43 IBM Small "P" on underside of barrel. Band: "MMQ"
Slide: Inland (PI) "955" stamped on arm of slide.
Bolt: Flat blue NPM with "N12" on lug and "3951" on top surface.
Trigger Housing: Inland with "134" on back above spring hole and very small "SA" on side.
Hammer: Marked "II".
Rear Sight: "PI" Front Sight: "N"
Stock: Everybody had their hands on this one. It's an "I" cut. On side above trigger area, "AAU", "AAT" (I think it's a T)in a rectangle, a largish "B". Further back, also on left side, "AN". In slingwell, looks like an "R", "85" and an "F". On right side a boxed "SA". On bottom of grip is a "P".
Slide and trigger housing (plumb) and internals look like next to no wear. Bolt, very slight wear. Dark "parkerizing", I guess, on the rest of it. Stock and hand guard (2 rivet OI) were glossy finish which looked bad. Carbine came with 150 rounds steeel case, four 15 round GI mags, one 30 round, worn "C" strap, '44 barrel end cover, and extra unmarked stock and hand guard.
I would love detailed comments. Thanks.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  2:08:07 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we are old, we like and need pictures to make comments!!! Load them on a site like photobucket and post the album here, if you post pictures themselves more then 3 will cause the site to eliminate your user ID, it happened to me. Toss the steel case stuff IMO,hard on the parts.
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  3:31:17 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention, trigger guard is stamped "LGK ST 0202"
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  11:21:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup sure sounds like a typical Bavarian rebuilt carbine. I am guessing that the high wood didn't survive with all of those rebuilds happening to it. Four here and at least once in Germany. It also seems that you got quite a bit with it. If it were me I would get rid of the steel case ammo and use only brass cased ammo in the carbine.
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  11:55:34 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, there was 250 steel, not 150, and 50+ brass cased rounds. The steel is up for sale locally. I stripped the stock and handguard and rubbed in a couple coats of BLO and it came out quite nice....looks like it should. Barrel is bright and has good rifling. Off to the range Fri to fire it. I thought $800 was a reasonable price, especially given the apparent lack of wear on all the parts. Yes, the stock is a low wood, I cut. Do the slingwell markings tell you who made the stock? That is, the R, 85, and F?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  2:40:04 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could there be other letters that your not seeing very well in the stock? Ones with numbers are those found on Saginaw Gear S.G. stocks. But they would be stamped RMC or RSG and the numbers. Maybe it's a European made stock?

Edited by - Tuna on 06/17/2014 2:43:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  5:45:45 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, nothing I can see. Except for the glossy finish, the stock was in really nice shape. Stripped and oiled it showed the grain nicely and some of the markings actually became clearer. There are very few bumps and bruises on the stock. The handguard has some thin, lengthwise marks, like it was drawn along rough cement or a large rock.The slingwell markings aren't a single line stamp. They look like each was put on separately and are of different sizes. To bad we can't know the complete life story of these carbines....where they've been and what they've done.
Go to Top of Page

Sleeplessnashadow
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  05:45:44 AM  Show Profile Send Sleeplessnashadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact the numbered parts do not match one another or the receiver, yet have numbers consistent with those used by Germany and/or Austria, infers it was built into what you have by someone with access to more than a few spare parts from carbines used by Germany and/or Austria. Because of the number that don't match up, I suspect CMP rebuilt the carbine onto a receiver that did not come with all its parts. The Germans and Austrians occasionally replaced a numbered part that needed replacing, but not this many. Just an educated guess.

Jim
BavarianM1Carbines.com
Go to Top of Page

gunbb
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  08:59:08 AM  Show Profile Send gunbb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one of these and the give away was that the Germans , in all their analness, stamped every part with the serial number. Tell me how to post pictures and I will, BB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2