M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Underwood
 Help with my first M1 Carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

artyldr01
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  9:27:44 PM  Show Profile Send artyldr01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good evening.

I am looking for the perfect M1 for me but I often get too impatient and could use some assistance. I won't get into my disappointment from this weekend at the militaria show where I had it in my sights and lost it. I am a newbie to this weapon and have been researching feverishly. I should clarify my perfect M1 is a correct example of a standard firearm. Rebuild ok. I don't want one significantly "restored."

My local pawnshop has an Underwood SN: 6117239. Underwood Barrel date (faint) 9-43. The good: most parts appear typical rebuild, RIA front sight, angled charging handle, rotary safety, round bolt, underlined Magazine release, MMQ/MMQ barrel band/bayonet lug, 1 UI and one U marked magazine. The bad: civilian stock (unsure about hand guard I think is legit), rear sight replaced with a dovetail scope mount. A flip sight is included but I'm pretty sure it's repro.

I looked at three M1s this weekend (Underwood, Saginaw S' G'...The reason for my foul attitude all weekend...and I can't remember the 3rd) in the $825 range. Everything else was $1000 and up (way up).

The one I am describing is at $730. All I want is a solid but used Arsenal Rebuild marked stock and a correct type 2 (type 3) rear sight to bring it back to standard rebuild configuration. What is a good price for a rebuild stock and sight? I see prices all over the board.

Lastly, knowing what you know, is this a fair deal for what I'm looking for or too much money?

Can any one give me any details I should look for?

Thank you all very much for your time.

On a side note I will be listing in trader a few unique Mosins and a RC K98k I'd trade for a good M1 carbine.

Thanks again.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jimb16

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  9:39:51 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the carbines on Gun Broker. Chances are that you can find what you are looking for at a significantly lower price. Plus you have the advantage of being able to have us evaluate it before you bid.

OGCA Lifer, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

artyldr01
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  9:50:52 PM  Show Profile Send artyldr01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, will do!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  07:33:33 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is the $730 the listed price at the pawn shop? If so you have some haggle room. If it is not import marked (usually on the barrel) then replacing the rear sight is no big deal and not much $$$. There are more and more stocks popping up now that someone figured out to strip all the carbines in Korea of the parts and bring them back to sell. Stocks have been popping up at gun shows here in the GA are by the hundreds. They are dark, dirty and need cleaning and some refinishing but if you can find one that is not damaged there are some deals to be made in the $100 range. Also epay is a place to shop for parts/stocks as well. You can join the CMP forum which is a good place to find parts or even a complete weapon.
You must be logged in to see this link.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - n/a on 06/03/2014 07:35:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

artyldr01
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  5:35:04 PM  Show Profile Send artyldr01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$730 is the haggled price, wanted $799. However, I just called another shop in town and they have two nice carbines. My favorite is another Underwood, but the stock also indicates Underwood rebuilt (I think very cool). Flat bolt, straight charging handle, rotary safety, type 2 rear sight, bayonet lug, very nice correct rebuild (I think, though the flat bolt and charging handle are curious) for $1000.

Also another, Standard Products, similar condition, flat bolt, flat charging handle, rotary safety, type 2 rear sight, bayonet lug but FAT stock and aftermarket magazine for $899.

Any thoughts on those? I am thinking to replace the stock on the "scoped" one (I found a vendor with an Underwood and Aniston marked stock for $120) and correct sight $45, I am up to $900 at which point I'd rather have the less tampered with Underwood for $1000. I do apologize, I know photos would help but I am unable to at the moment.

Thanks again, very much. Spending $1000 seems ridiculous but I guess that is where we are at these days.
Go to Top of Page

rg1911

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  5:19:01 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on your description, I would jump on the Standard Products, mainly because they're hard to find. Were you able to completely disassemble it to see how many parts were still SP, condition, muzzle wear, and so on?

To me, the FAT stock represents part of the carbine's history and I would keep it. One of my carbines has both the FAT stock, and the arsenal stamp on the rear of the barrel.

USGI magazines are still available, although the prices have gone up a bit.

Cheers,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

artyldr01
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  10:53:28 PM  Show Profile Send artyldr01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not take it apart, but I will definitely go back and look. That was kind of my thinking. I know some people shy away from "imports" but I agree its part of the history! I'll definitely let you know!
Go to Top of Page

artyldr01
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  8:16:42 PM  Show Profile Send artyldr01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't get the chance to take them apart but did take a more detailed look.

The Standard Products carbine has a decidedly newer charging handle, but has the early handguard. I looked hard at the stock and didn't see any US maker markings/cartouches etc.

The $1000 Underwood has a new/aftermarket handguard but a "U" and NOPM 62 marked stock that also has the MU in the sling well. The condition of this one looks all matching, appropriate wear.

They both have rotary safeties, bayonet lugs and type two rear sights.

For my goal of an un-molested carbine the $1000 Underwood (SN 161357) seems spot on but the Standard Products (SN: 205XXX can't remember last 3) is unique.

Part of me thinks I just need to cool my jets and research more but I hate the thought of missing a real find.

Thanks again all.

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  7:47:48 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest first investing in a book! Get U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime production by Craig Reisch. Look it over well. It will help you evaluate any carbine you look at. It isn't a "perfect" book, but it is a very good reference and not particularly pricey. It is an investment well worth the money.

OGCA Lifer, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2