M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Rock-Ola
 New (to me) Rock-Ola
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked up a 4599xxx serial number Rock-Ola today, including one IW mag and one IW in a circle mag, "C" strap and S. Frowlich Co 1943 mag pouch. Barrel, gas block, slide and receiver are Rock-Ola, Win bolt and hammer and Inland trigger housing. Handguard is OI and the stock is Springfield Armory. Both are in great condition and, for what it's worth, match quite nicely. I haven't taken the trigger group apart yet, so I don't know what's inside. Any guesses on DOB? The barrel isn't dated, just the name. No importer marking. The pouch seems awfully nice for a 70+ year old and won't snap when on the stock and you try to close it over the mags. The strap looks more like it's age. Not bad for a mixmaster. $775 for the lot.

Edited by - tortuga on 06/18/2014 7:22:40 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  7:55:37 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, this addition (or should I say addiction), puts me at three: an Inland, a National Postal Meter and, now, the Rock-Ola.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  8:03:44 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will the pouch close if you move it up toward the receiver?
SM
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  9:25:14 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm....didn't try that and I've since worked it off the stock so I could clean it. It was a bear to get it off, but I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  10:38:24 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You did very well to get a Rock-Ola for that price even if it's a rebuilt. I have seen the rebuilt ones going for $1000 or even more.
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  10:43:14 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought so too, especially when you throw in a couple accessories.

Can you tell me the approximate date it was made?
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  11:37:29 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just realized that the rear sight is loose in the dovetail. The whole thing sides back and forth. It doesn't side all the way out. Should I just line up the stake marks and give a good whack to a pointed punch?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  5:04:27 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
others will chime it but do not whack it with anything!! With a Standard Products M1 I got a few weeks ago I used a rear sight pusher to take off the rear sight, did not realize that one of the stakes was hit so hard it raised a bit of metal so when I pushed off the sight a small chunk of the receiver (see pic) came off. You will get some advice on securing the sight, just hang on. Nice score for $775!! Your serial should date to the Jan-Feb, 1944 area.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - n/a on 05/06/2014 5:07:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  7:26:13 PM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see your pictures. OUCH! Thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  7:48:33 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess not only was a bit of metal raised that the sight could catch when it was pushed off but because it was struck so hard that is what probably really did the damage. Fortunately it is mostly hidden when the adjustable sight is on. I like flip sights on my carbines but this one will have to wear the adj one for that scare.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try putting a brass shim under the rear sight, That should lift it enough to hold it in place andyou will still be able to adjust it. Then once you have it sighted in, you can dd a drop of Lock-tite.

OGCA Lifer, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

tortuga

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  08:54:04 AM  Show Profile Send tortuga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2