M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Quality Hardware
 FAT Mark on Barrel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  10:09:14 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My '43 QHMC carbine has a very faint FAT arsenal mark stamped on the top of the barrel near the receiver. My questions are:

1) How does this affect it's value?
2) Should there be a similar mark on the stock?

The stock is a nice original high wood,"I" cut RMC. Shouldn't it also have the FAT stamp to be really correct?

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 10/20/2015 8:50:04 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  5:52:59 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an underwood with the exact same marking in the same place. Mine did not have it on the stock either. I believe they came back from Italy , but they probably went through a rebuild and lost the stock to another gun or it was changed somewhere in it's life . In my mind I don't think it changes the value like an im
Go to Top of Page

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  5:59:13 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry , my big thumbs hit the wrong button, let me continue ,I don't think it changes the value like an import stamp on the barrel but others may have a different opinion .
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2014 :  3:35:18 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a sign that the carbine was a return to the US Army from Italy which turned it over to and was sold by the CMP. I still think someone has tried to restore your carbine and has replaced some of the parts like the stock. I do not think that was the stock on it if sold by the CMP.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2014 :  6:19:13 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you are right. The rifle came with a CMP certificate of authenticity dated 2008. I bet one of the previous owners switched stocks. Also, it came with a repro Type 1 rear sight that I plan to replace (ref. my other post in this forum) . Who knows what else was switched. By the way, did all Italian returns go through the CMP?

JackP
Go to Top of Page

BQ97
Advanced Member

477 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2014 :  7:44:46 PM  Show Profile Send BQ97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackp

By the way, did all Italian returns go through the CMP?

No
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2