M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Quality Hardware
 1.608 QHMC value
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fessor
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  07:53:25 AM  Show Profile Send Fessor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I examined a 1.608 million QHMC in 95% condition that has all original parts according to Riesch except the rear sight has been replaced with a type II. It is in a RMC high wood stock with the large ordnance wheel and a RMC handguard, both of which have few minor dents or dings. It appears to me the rear sight was not replaced by a US armorer as the typical staking done at replacement is absent. There is however staking evidence from installation of the original sight. It also has a early sling with the round cross section adjuster as opposed to the flat adjuster.

I'm not too up on the value of QHMC carbines but I think this is worth somewhere around $1200. I know without pictures the value is tough to get real close, but am I in the ballpark on estimate?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it were all original then a price of at least $1500 would be expected and most likely more. But without the proper rear sight but the rest being correct I would say your close with your $1200 estimate. Maybe a bit less but no less then $1000 all depending on the 95% original condition.
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  09:45:17 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi; A couple of questions.
Is the carbine squeeky clean or does it have 50 yrs of dust on it?
Any import marks?
Dealer or private seller?
How long has seller had it?
Are any of the parts clean while some dirty?
Look at sites real close, do they look like they have been removed lately?
Any hammer marks on sites?
Look for casting marks on small parts.
In general look for anything that just doesn't look right.
Remember about 95% of carbines are mixmaster, original unmolested ones donot show up very often.
Average price is about $800 +/- if not original and depending on the overall condition of carbine IMHO.
I hope this helps. GK

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!

Edited by - shadycon on 04/04/2014 09:48:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fessor
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  3:08:49 PM  Show Profile Send Fessor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the carbine squeeky clean or does it have 50 yrs of dust on it?
>> It has 30 years of dust and lint on it. When I disassembled the rifle many parts that were close tolerance and rarely move in use were gummed up and slow to move initially.

Any import marks?
>> None

Dealer or private seller?
>> Private seller

How long has seller had it?
>> 30 years

Are any of the parts clean while some dirty?
>> All parts seem to match well regarding wear and use indicators. All parts seem to belong together.

Look at sites real close, do they look like they have been removed lately?
Any hammer marks on sites?
>> There are no hammer marks or indicators that the sights have been recently tampered with or used.

Look for casting marks on small parts.
>> There are no cast parts that I can detect. I have been collecting carbines for a while now and while I am by no means an expert. I, like most collectors are always looking to learn more and more is being discovered, however I am no novice either. In my educated opinion, the rifle is all correct and appears to be original , not a restoration, except for the rear sights.

I am aware that most carbines have been rebuilt which is why I am a little on the fence for value of this near original specimen as it is so rare for me to see a carbine in this condition in the geographically isolated area in which I live.

Edited by - Fessor on 04/04/2014 6:03:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  7:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fessor; Sounds like you know what to look for. From what you say it sounds like one to go after. I think both you and Tuna hit the mark on this one.GK

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2