M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Uncommon Variants
 M1A1 Parts Help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hunterman3
Advanced Member

126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  9:14:04 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Need some help on determining what parts of this M1A1 might be USGI. The wood has the proper markings for late production plus AAW re-arsenal mark. The leather and rivets are obvious replacements. The metal I am not sure about. All the metal, even the screws, have a new-looking black finish which does not suggest they are original. However, the buttplate has markings as described n various literature. All the metal pieces, except the cover for the recoil plate, are heavy and appear to be well made, to my unpracticed eye. Any help will be appreciated. I'd like to know which, if any, of the metal parts are not repro. I've compared them to various items for sale on auctions and can't tell any difference. Please PM me if that is a preferred method.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

hunterman3
Advanced Member

126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  9:16:19 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

hunterman3
Advanced Member

126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  9:18:13 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

hunterman3
Advanced Member

126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  9:20:26 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  1:01:50 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well someone messed up the rivets for the leather cheek rest but how is the metal of the tubing? Is it hollow of solid? The rest appears to be right.
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  7:18:49 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the leather was replaced by a technition working for Kahr Arms, they love pop rivets!!!!!!GK

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

hunterman3
Advanced Member

126 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  9:09:52 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna,

The tubing appears to be hollow, from what I can see.

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  11:07:41 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then it's the real deal. Find someone to replace those rivets as they are backwards and you will be all set.
Go to Top of Page

hunterman3
Advanced Member

126 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  11:31:44 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna,
You've been a great help, as usual! Don't you think the metal has been refinished? What was the original color and finish?
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1362 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you replace the rivets you need the buttplate spring also.GK

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  7:23:35 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it does look like the metal has been reparked. BTW, it you clean the bottom of the pistol grip, you will probably find a 3 below the RI.

OGCA Lifer, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2