M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Saginaw SG
 Rock-Ola recoil plate on a Saginaw carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bamfoto
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  2:54:10 PM  Show Profile Send bamfoto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years ago my father gave me his Saginaw stamped carbine #3272406. I just took it in to be field stripped, cleaned and oiled. I noticed that the recoil plate is marked with a "Rock-Ola" stamp. Were carbines assembled at the Saginaw plant with different manufacturers parts? The gun shop guy (who didn't know much about carbines) seemed to think it could have been replaced in the field. But I just don't know. Any answers out there?

jimb16

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  3:39:30 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We would need to know more about your carbine. I suspect you have a rebuild, so it is likely that the part was installed during the rebuild. And to answer your question,yes they did use some parts made by other manufacturers, but I don't believe that there is any documentation for that part.

OGCA Lifer, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

bamfoto
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  4:03:46 PM  Show Profile Send bamfoto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your prompt response. This carbine wasn't rebuilt after WWII from spare pieces. My question is about the original construction of carbines during WWII. I know a lot more about this carbine that I first posted. My father was an US Naval officer in the Pacific theater during WWII. He participated in operations at Manila, Leyte Gulf, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. On his return through Pearl Harbor in 1945 he traded a set of purloined dishes from the Admirals place setting for this carbine and some Lake City bullets. The carbine, along with a boat load of other war material, was going to be taken to sea from Pearl Harbor and dumped overboard to spare the expense of shipping the unneeded war materials back to the States. This carbine has been in our possession since 1945. It is the real deal --- don't know if was rebuilt in the Pacific theater --- but it came from the South Pacific during WWII. It looks in too good a shape to be "combat" used, but I doesn't mean that it wasn't. My father passed away last year at the age of 91. He is a war hero in my book.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3322 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saginaw S.G. did receive about 20,000 recoil plates from Rock-ola in June and July 1943. That would also fit in with the serial number so most likely it is original to the carbine. Pictures of it would be great if you can.
Go to Top of Page

bamfoto
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  12:19:38 PM  Show Profile Send bamfoto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I can't believe you found records of that Rock-Ola shipment of recoil plates shipment to Saginaw SG! I'll send some pix of the carbine ASAP when it comes back from the gunsmith. This rifle has a great deal of sentimental value to me. I don't want to fire it much anymore and would like to get a carbine "plinker" because the .30 M1 carbine is such a great gun to shoot. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna, where did you find that info? Is it listed in WB?

Go to Top of Page

bamfoto
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  6:01:20 PM  Show Profile Send bamfoto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know too.....
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3322 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:59:48 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's listed in WB. 6-23-43 10,000 plates sent and 7-06-43 10,000 more plates sent.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  8:29:23 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HMMMMM, i MISSED THAT! Sr. moments are getting more frequent! *LOL*

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3322 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  2:24:27 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And rest assured Jim your NOT ALONE!!!!!!! Now what were we talking about?????????????

Edited by - Tuna on 02/05/2014 2:25:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

bamfoto
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  3:27:32 PM  Show Profile Send bamfoto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted the original message about the Rock-Ola recoil plate part on the Saginaw carbine my father left me. I've had a few of those "senior" moments lately myself...like trying to figure out what WB means! Can you write it out what WB stands for? This 62 year old senior would like to know?
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  5:43:44 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WB???Warner Brothers???
WB ; War Baby Vol.'s I, II, and now III. Pricey but the best books about Carbines.GK

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2